Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Dawg

Just a heads up

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Saw a Sea Lion hit a striper today...frown.gif

It wasnt huge by any means, but it was close to a legal fish. It was right off the light house by dog beach in Santa Cruz.

i hate those seals....they always eat the fish that are around......especially when you are crabbing they sometime eat your crab as your reeling in or they even jump in people's crab nets when they bring them to the surface and try to take your crabs or your bait

We do our part down over here, but I don't think there is much you can do with a sea lion. The DFG won't waste their time hand headscratch.gif cuffing a finconfused.gifconfused.gif !

Nothing new, there is a population of small bass that hang around Monterey during the winter. Just like they hang around most of the coast. As for sealions they do less damage than any man made disaster that has affected the striper fishery.

I try my best to be a law abiding citisan... But, I have no bones with people who shoot Sea Lions...! I turn in EVERY POACHER I see. I have NEVER turned in some one for shooting one of those damn things.......

I know that my views on this do not always fit in. But I practice catch and release. I pack out any trash I have. I do my best every time out to help conserve our fishing waters.... So Please do me a favor and do not preach to me about SEA LIONS...

I am not trying to pick a fight, but this is a problem that is way out of control around here due in part to the tourists that feed them, and all the activists that make it a safe harbor for them....

I started this post to let people know that the stripers were around right now. Not to bash the Sea Lion for eating to survive. But I will be damned if I will let my post turn into a bash and slam party, For activists that want to harbor Sea Lions.

Please understand where I am coming from.

I try my best to be a law abiding citisan... But, I have no bones with people who shoot Sea Lions...! I turn in EVERY POACHER I see. I have NEVER turned in some one for shooting one of those damn things.......

I know that my views on this do not always fit in. But I practice catch and release. I pack out any trash I have. I do my best every time out to help conserve our fishing waters.... So Please do me a favor and do not preach to me about SEA LIONS...

I am not trying to pick a fight, but this is a problem that is way out of control around here due in part to the tourists that feed them, and all the activists that make it a safe harbor for them....

I started this post to let people know that the stripers were around right now. Not to bash the Sea Lion for eating to survive. But I will be damned if I will let my post turn into a bash and slam party, For activists that want to harbor Sea Lions.

Please understand where I am coming from.

No I am Not sure where your coming from and if you knew me you'd know that I target seals whenever I fish. Many a sea lion has had a lure bounced off his head when I'm fishing. I'm probably the only person that has bounced a lure off the head of both east coast and west coast seals. biggrin.gif

But in all truth they are a small part to the decline of the fishery. In fact for the amount of stripers seals eat compared to what the devastation caused by water diversions is minuscule..

If you want to talk devastation lets talk about how the live bait boats destroyed the fishery in the 90's. Those boats did more damage than any seal that eat one or two stripers a day. Someday when the fishery gets to a point those boats will be back and destroy what's left. Then lets talk about the gill nets that ravaged the coast 15 years ago. The fish have still not made a comeback from those two legal fisheries. Then we have wire line meat fisherman, no sport they are just looking to load the boat and many have made a living selling these fish.

Then lets talk about the build up of the delta/river area. Do you have any idea how many more people fish that area now than in the past? How many bass are taken in those area's?

My comment was to let you know for more years than you have been alive stripers have roamed that area in the winter. They range from San Diego to the Oregon boarder all winter long and some are big fish. As for releasing fish great job, but I can bet you I have released more stripers in a surf season than you have ever caught in the surf.

So before you get all high and mighty understand that many of us here know a lot more than you do.

To me a seal eating a striper is a key for me to plug the area, just like seeing a pelican, it means they are there. Most people think if a seal swims by the bass move away and the fishing is over. If you understood that if you use a seal and see what he is doing you can find and target bass easier. I have no problem seeing one eat a striper, just like I have no problem seeing someone keep a fish now and again.

So relax dude, no one preached to you about seals, I wouldn't turn anyone in for shooting them either. I just said it's not such a big deal when one eats one.

Now I have a question for you guys, When was the last time one of you lost a striper to a seal while fishing on the beach? Pier yes, salmon yes. But in 37 years of striper fishing I have never seen a seal take a bass away from any surf striper fisherman.

Oh and another thing if you want to report that you see fish around please be a little less specific in the location. It is against site policy to actually name the area. Not my rule but the entire site. I didn't change your post because no one complained, if someone does I will have to. Mentioning that you saw this in Santa Cruz would of been fine. Mentioning the exact beach and area is not.

Thanks

I personally have harassed a sleeping sea lion and proud of it....twice 40.gif

just don't mess around with one of thaes seals they roam the night in packs of six, there bite is fatal...don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

seal12.jpg

Did you share a smoke afterwards????wink.gif

No I am Not sure where your coming from and if you knew me you'd know that I target seals whenever I fish. Many a sea lion has had a lure bounced off his head when I'm fishing. I'm probably the only person that has bounced a lure off the head of both east coast and west coast seals. biggrin.gif

But in all truth they are a small part to the decline of the fishery. In fact for the amount of stripers seals eat compared to what the devastation caused by water diversions is minuscule..

If you want to talk devastation lets talk about how the live bait boats destroyed the fishery in the 90's. Those boats did more damage than any seal that eat one or two stripers a day. Someday when the fishery gets to a point those boats will be back and destroy what's left. Then lets talk about the gill nets that ravaged the coast 15 years ago. The fish have still not made a comeback from those two legal fisheries. Then we have wire line meat fisherman, no sport they are just looking to load the boat and many have made a living selling these fish.

Then lets talk about the build up of the delta/river area. Do you have any idea how many more people fish that area now than in the past? How many bass are taken in those area's?

My comment was to let you know for more years than you have been alive stripers have roamed that area in the winter. They range from San Diego to the Oregon boarder all winter long and some are big fish. As for releasing fish great job, but I can bet you I have released more stripers in a surf season than you have ever caught in the surf.

So before you get all high and mighty understand that many of us here know a lot more than you do.

To me a seal eating a striper is a key for me to plug the area, just like seeing a pelican, it means they are there. Most people think if a seal swims by the bass move away and the fishing is over. If you understood that if you use a seal and see what he is doing you can find and target bass easier. I have no problem seeing one eat a striper, just like I have no problem seeing someone keep a fish now and again.

So relax dude, no one preached to you about seals, I wouldn't turn anyone in for shooting them either. I just said it's not such a big deal when one eats one.

Now I have a question for you guys, When was the last time one of you lost a striper to a seal while fishing on the beach? Pier yes, salmon yes. But in 37 years of striper fishing I have never seen a seal take a bass away from any surf striper fisherman.

Oh and another thing if you want to report that you see fish around please be a little less specific in the location. It is against site policy to actually name the area. Not my rule but the entire site. I didn't change your post because no one complained, if someone does I will have to. Mentioning that you saw this in Santa Cruz would of been fine. Mentioning the exact beach and area is not.

Thanks

I think you should re read my post....

This part to be exact...

I am well aware of the man made problems we have in our waters. Like I stated though, this was just a heads up that fish were around... I could really care less to debate who or what is depleting our fishing....

But hey, no worries man.. You are more then welcome to remove my post. I am starting to think maybe I will remove my account. Take care all, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

P.S., The reason I posted the exact spot, is there is no way for anyone to fish that spot.... The warden will get you for even jumping the wall.....

Sorry about that also....

But I will be damned if I will let my post turn into a bash and slam party, For activists that want to harbor Sea Lions.

OK...I think I'm beginning to understand the email you just sent me.

As an admin, I have to ask you -- where is the "bash and slam party"? Where are the activists harboring sea lions in this thread? I'm at a complete and total loss here. I don't see anyone bashing anyone, nobody slamming anyone and nobody that said anything about protecting or harboring sea lions -- was someone's post edited or something? headscratch.gif

TimS

just don't mess around with one of thaes seals they roam the night in packs of six, there bite is fatal...don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

seal12.jpg

\\

the only easy day was yesterday

Desert_Patrol_Vehicle.jpgpoachers and sea lions beware =]

nothin like the thump of a 40 mikemike echoed by the ma-deuce lettin looseheart.gif

You have a problem with Sea Lions out there. We have our 2 problems out here on the east coast. We have both gray and harbor seals. Things are smart. They will swim right up and bite right into the fish your fighting.