Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

Let's try religion for $500

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

For all you religious skeptics and conspiracy buffs out there - let's move off politics and try religion.

Who thinks this archeological find in Jerusalem could be the real deal???

Let me hear your thoughts both pro and con

Raiders of the Lost Tomb

A book and movie allege the final resting place of Mary, Joseph and the King of Kings has been found. Controversy to follow.

In Jerusalem, that ancient and holy city, people's houses are built on bones. For thousands of years, hundreds of generations of Jews, Muslims and Christians have been laid to rest in its rocky soil. Tova Bracha has always known that the tiny, rose-bordered concrete plot next to her apartment building covers an ancient Jewish burial tomb, but she never thought much about it. "It just didn't seem important when there are so many tombs anyway that have been found around Jerusalem," she says. Rushing home for the Sabbath, her arms full of groceries, Bracha laughs at the suggestion that the tomb might be of considerable religious interest. Maybe she can make a fortune selling trinkets to tourists, she jokes. Maybe the value of her home will soar.

This week the Discovery Channel, together with HarperSanFrancisco, announces the release of "The Jesus Family Tomb," a television documentary and a book that aim to show that the tomb next door to Tova Bracha's apartment, located in a nondescript suburb called East Talpiot, is, well, the family plot of Jesus Christ. Spearheaded by a well-known TV director named Simcha Jacobovici, and produced by "Titanic" director James Cameron, "The Jesus Family Tomb" is-both in book and movie form-a slick and suspenseful narrative about the 1980 discovery of a first-century Jewish burial cave and the 10 bone boxes, or ossuaries, found therein.

With the help of statisticians, archeologists, historians, DNA experts, robot-camera technicians, epigraphers and a CSI expert from New York's Long Island, Jacobovici puts together a case in which he argues that the bones of Jesus, Mary and Mary Magdalene, along with some of their lesser-known relatives, were once entombed in this cave. James Charlesworth of the Princeton Theological Seminary consulted with Jacobovici on the project and is intrigued: "A very good claim could be made that this was Jesus' clan." Faced with the controversial theological and historical implications of what he calls his "rediscovery," Jacobovici is sanguine. "People will have to believe what they want to believe," he says.

His critics are arming themselves for battle. "Simcha has no credibility whatsoever," says Joe Zias, who was the curator for anthropology and archeology at the Rockefeller Museum in Jerusalem from 1972 to 1997 and personally numbered the Talpiot ossuaries. "He's pimping off the Bible ... He got this guy Cameron, who made 'Titanic' or something like that-what does this guy know about archeology? I am an archeologist, but if I were to write a book about brain surgery, you would say, 'Who is this guy?' People want signs and wonders. Projects like these make a mockery of the archeological profession." Cameron's reply: "I don't profess to be an archeologist or a Biblical scholar. I'm a film producer. I found it compelling. I think we're on firm ground to say that much."

What difference will it really make? Is anyone going to change their belief system over it? Highly doubtful. When a religious person is presented with such "evidence", the usual response revolves around "it being a test of faith".

how did the Christ bloodline get lost anyway?

He had a family, you would think the Children of Mary and Joseph would view the fact significant enough to pass the info along to their offspring.

What difference will it really make? Is anyone going to change their belief system over it? Highly doubtful. When a religious person is presented with such "evidence", the usual response revolves around "it being a test of faith".

seconded. plus the fact it comes from a 'hollywood' film producer. . . .

this may not be the real deal, but there probably is or was a real tomb out there.

Yeshua would have had to have been a very strange and unusual young man not to have married at a young age at those times, so he probably had a wife and children somewhere.

"A book and movie allege the final resting place of Mary, Joseph and the King of Kings has been found. Controversy to follow."

Controversy = ticket and book sales. That's all we need to know.

The only certain things in life are death and taxes. You can add one more, every Christmas and Easter some w?nker will try and line his pocket by "proving" Christ didn't exist/was gay/was merely a man. rolleyes.gif

The only certain things in life are death and taxes. You can add one more, every Christmas and Easter some w?nker will try and line his pocket by "proving" Christ didn't exist/was gay/was merely a man. rolleyes.gif

Amen.

Yeshua would have had to have been a very strange and unusual young man not to have married at a young age at those times, so he probably had a wife and children somewhere.

Unless of course the Gospels are accurate.

Unless of course the Gospels are accurate.

of course, but then again we know they were edited so who can say what was left out ?

With the help of statisticians, archeologists, historians, DNA experts, robot-camera technicians, epigraphers and a CSI expert from New York's Long Island, Jacobovici puts together a case in which he argues that the bones of Jesus, Mary and Mary Magdalene, along with some of their lesser-known relatives, were once entombed in this cave.

so they "were once entombed" there?

And who's got Jesus' DNA anyways?

big time rolleyes.gif to me.

whatever.

it's all about evolution... and we're evolving ourselves right back into apocalypse.

of course, but then again we know they were edited so who can say what was left out ?

If you mean edited, like there are debated texts left out, I can see that. If you mean somebody sat down and crossed out things they didn't like in the original four gospels, well that actually happened too. That was Marcion's approach. That was one of the reasons that the New Testament was cannonized, to prevent that kind of editing.

If you look at the four gospels they do have differences, but the story doesn't change significantly and the message is consistent. You'll have to decide the truth based on what was left in, or you might just go directly to the source and ask for yourself.

or you might just go directly to the source and ask for yourself.

I would do, but she was a bit grumpy this morning before she left the house for work. LOL

so they "were once entombed" there?

And who's got Jesus' DNA anyways?

big time rolleyes.gif to me.

whatever.

it's all about evolution... and we're evolving ourselves right back into apocalypse.

from what I've read, the tomb and the bone boxes were discovered in 1980. At that time, no one made the connection across all the names and Mary Magdeline's name in Aramaic was not translated to her as they now know today. So they took the bones and as per Jewish law buried them somewhere and put the bone boxes in a warehouse with thousands of others until this latest 'Indiana Jones' archeologist came along and made the connection of all the names from this particular tomb. They had DNA tests done on the Jesus and Mary Magdeline boxes and confirmed that they were NOT blood related which means they could be husband/wife.

The bible states that jesus was laid to rest in a tomb that was sealed by a rock that was rolled in front of the opening. It is also stated that it was a new tomb and no one else had been put there yet. The account goes on to say that when mary magdalene went back to the tomb jesus was gone, peter also went and found jesus burial cloths but no body. He wasn't there because he had been resurrected=no bones left behind=story in news is fiction. Looking to make movies and money. distasteful

just read any of the 4 gospels

dna ? seems i remember that all jewish records were burned when Rome destroyed the city, no paper trail