Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GOTTOG

Car Insurance/Accident question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Feeling like I'm getting jerked around here with my car insurance claim.

Truck was parked in front of my house and hit by another vehicle. Originally the owner of the car said it was stolen, but now the police have a confession from the driver that hit-n-an which is the owner's boyfriend.

My insurance company is driving me batty. First they were letting this shop start on repairs even before I was notified of anything and had to have my truck taken to another shop as the first seemed too shadey...was told the truck was totaled, frame bent, can't repair, etc and then all of a sudden he can fix it. Original estimate missed lots of obvious damages off as well.

So calling up my agent last week to inform her the update on the caught driver and was asked if I wanted to go against the owner's insurance?headscratch.gif Of course I do dangit!!! Figure nothing really should come out of my own pocket.

So waiting to hear from them and finally get a call back and they tell me the owner has a "dollar a day" policy??? Basically I'm going to have to pay the deductible and what my insurance doesn't cover??? Was told I wouldn't be "charged" for the accident, but this is kind of ridiculous.

Anyone have any insight? Suggestions?

Should I lawyer up?

Truck I believe is going to be totaled.

Feeling like I'm getting jerked around here with my car insurance claim.

Truck was parked in front of my house and hit by another vehicle. Originally the owner of the car said it was stolen, but now the police have a confession from the driver that hit-n-an which is the owner's boyfriend.

My insurance company is driving me batty. First they were letting this shop start on repairs even before I was notified of anything and had to have my truck taken to another shop as the first seemed too shadey...was told the truck was totaled, frame bent, can't repair, etc and then all of a sudden he can fix it. Original estimate missed lots of obvious damages off as well.

So calling up my agent last week to inform her the update on the caught driver and was asked if I wanted to go against the owner's insurance?headscratch.gif Of course I do dangit!!! Figure nothing really should come out of my own pocket.

So waiting to hear from them and finally get a call back and they tell me the owner has a "dollar a day" policy??? Basically I'm going to have to pay the deductible and what my insurance doesn't cover??? Was told I wouldn't be "charged" for the accident, but this is kind of ridiculous.

Anyone have any insight? Suggestions?

Should I lawyer up?

Truck I believe is going to be totaled.

This is one of those situations where you want to use your insurance company. They will try to collected what they paid and your deductible and any rental expense, but since the Property Damage limit of a "basic" policy in NJ (dollar a day) is $5,000, you're not going to get all of it back. I supose you could try small claims for the difference.

Your not going to be "charged" by way of a surcharge, like if you got a speeding ticket. But you are going to have to pay your deductible. Two different things.

I had a similar accident. My vehicle was not really drivable, but I opened a claim and drove it to the local State Farm Service 1 shop. Means, they do their own estimate, start work and no waiting on SF . Shop said it was a total loss. So an estimator had to come out. Took 4-5 more days. In the meantime, SF bounced my case around because 3 people were injured. After the estimator totalled it, I took my plates off and overnighted the title to SF. 2 days later, I got the check, less my deductible and deposited it. SF said that they would get back my deductible as courtesy, but it would take 2 months. This is the 2nd total loss I have had with them in 8 months. They are pretty good.

This is one of those situations where you want to use your insurance company. They will try to collected what they paid and your deductible and any rental expense, but since the Property Damage limit of a "basic" policy in NJ (dollar a day) is $5,000, you're not going to get all of it back. I supose you could try small claims for the difference.

Your not going to be "charged" by way of a surcharge, like if you got a speeding ticket. But you are going to have to pay your deductible. Two different things.

Ok, that's what the girl at the agency said. She sounds like she's twelve and fails to get back to me with updates. Atleast I now know she knows a little of what she's talking about now.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Could try a go after the deductible, but main concern was not having my rates go up or anything.

I'm pretty sure the first car that got hit was atleast $5G of damage...defientely the second and then mine frown.gif

This year just ain't going too well for me. Can't even get excited about new car/truck shopping. Heck, didn't even consider fishing this weekendcwm31.gif

I think I need a vacation...

If the boyfriend's owner has any assets (unlikely), sue him in small claim court for your deductible. You could do it yourself. He will probably default, and then you can have fun trying to collect the judgment. But the judgment remains good for a while, and if he ever comes into money, you can collect. Or sue both the boyfriend and the owner if you can allege that the owner was negligent in giving the boyfriend the car.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/forms.htm

go to

Small claims Complete packet of forms and instructions on how to file a small claims complaint (motor vehicle) for an amount up to $3,000

I think it costs about $20 to file. All the info is in the kit. If your out of pocket loss is greater than $3,000, you can sue in small claim but you can not recover more than $3,000. If you want more than the $3,000, you have to sue in Special Civil Part.