Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Massachusetts Town Names

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm bored waiting for Donna to get home so I can go get take-out Chinese.....so I was thinking.....

Why is it that..........

We have Attleboro and North Attleboro, but North Attleboro is actually west of Attleboro?.....and when businesses that are in southern North Attleboro advertise, they say they are in South Attleboro, but there really IS no such town as South Attleboro?

We have Dedham and Needham and they are pronounced DEAD-UM and NEED-UM, but then we have Eastham and Raynham, and THEY are pronounced EAST-HAM and RAIN-HAM?

We have Southborough, Northborough and Westborough, but we have no Eastborough? What, the town east of there couldn't get with the program?

We have Quincy, which was named after John Quincy Adams, and every one says "Quinsy" when referring to John, but Quinzy when referring to the town?

If ever the EAston football team played the Weston football team, and the Easton football team got together with the Weston cheerleaders after the game, would they sing "Easton Boys and Weston Girls"?

headscratch.gif

Glad I grew up in Joisey......at least there we only had to figure out Ho-Ho-Kus and Wawayanda......wink.gif

Okay, I'm bored waiting for Donna to get home so I can go get take-out Chinese.....

What are you ordering?

Oh, and i forgot.....Mass also has "Belchertown".....um, what's up with that?.....cwm13.gif

Not to mention "Athol".......um, yeah, imagine having to tell someone that you live in At-hol, Massachusetts..........cwm13.gif

And we have Leominster.....which is pronounced "LEM-INSTER"......what, they had some guy Leo they didn't like, so changed the way they say it? And what are they up there, anyway, all lemmings? headscratch.gif

Peabody = Peebadee

Natick = Naytick

uhhh... OK

Dorchester = Dorchester

but Worchester = Woosta

Something's wrong with those people up there.

Well, I'm an implant to the area and I can tell you that I had to get used to saying Peabody like the locals do, i.e. Peeee-bity vs Pea-Body (like Mr Peabody from the Bullwinkle show). Also Waltham gave me trouble-I used to pronounce it 'Wal-thum' vs 'Walth-Ham'. I'm not even going to touch the Worcester, Gloucester, etc thing.

Btw, how come Chatham is the only 'ham' town (that I can think of) in MA where the second syllable is pronounced 'ham'?

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM MASSACHUSETTS IF:

You could own a small town in Iowa for the cost of your house

There are 24 Dunkin Donuts shops within 15 minutes of your house and that is how you give directions

If you stay on the same road long enough it eventually has three different names

53 degrees is "on the warm side"

You've walked to Brigham's for an ice cream cone "to go" in the snow

You cringe every time you hear some actor/actress imitate the "Boston Accent" on TV

You call chocolate sprinkles "jimmies"

A dixie cup ice cream is a "Hoodsie"

A Water fountain is called a Bubbler. Say it "Bubbla"

You can go from one side of town to the other in less than fifteen minutes

You know how to pronounce towns like Worcester, Haverhill, Peabody, Scituate, Webster, and Leominster

You know what they sell at a "packie"

You keep an ice scraper in your car all year round

Paranoia sets in when you can't see a Dunkin Donuts, ATM or CVS

You've pulled out of a side street and used your car to block oncoming traffic so you can make a left

You've bragged about saving money at The Christmas Tree Shop

You know what a "regular coffee" is!

You can navigate a rotary without a problem

You use the words "wicked" "pissa" and "good" in the same sentence

You know what a frappe is

Opening Day is your second favorite holiday

You drink tonic and would never consider using it on your hair

You never say "Cape Cod" you say "The Cape"

You went to Old Sturbridge Village and Plymouth Plantation at least once, in elementary school, but never to Bunker Hill

You know the Mass Pike and 495 create some sort of strange weather dividing line

Well, I'm an implant to the area and I can tell you that I had to get used to saying Peabody like the locals do, i.e. Peeee-bity vs Pea-Body (like Mr Peabody from the Bullwinkle show). Also Waltham gave me trouble-I used to pronounce it 'Wal-thum' vs 'Walth-Ham'. I'm not even going to touch the Worcester, Gloucester, etc thing.

Btw, how come Chatham is the only 'ham' town (that I can think of) in MA where the second syllable is pronounced 'ham'?

hahaha, you're an implant? hahaha, we call'm "fake t..ts" in Mass. hahahabiggrin.gif

Aint nobody around heah that calls it Chat-Ham, eithuh, it's Chat'm. Eastham, Wareham, Bellingham, that's another story.cwm15.gif