Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mb77

Waders

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

The Bluestream waders from Cabelas. Get the boot foot. Great waders for the money and Cabelas has a very good return policy if you do have a problem.

I have Hodgeman's boot fit -- cost me $45 at Sports Authority -- nothing glamorous but they keep me dry.

next pair is going to be silverlabel orvis breathables, might pick them up for the summer. i also like to have a spair pair of waders to bring friends into the surf with mecwm12.gif

Depends what cash you have on hand. For 50ish bucks you can get something like the hodgmans. They will do a great job and are hard wearing. For a little more cash you can get neoprene. This is what I have but to be honest, If you can stretch to 170 bucks I think you can get a decent set of breathables from LL Bean. I bought neoprenes and buy June I was regretting it. They are great for the winter months and very hard wearing but they weigh a ton compared to breathables. This sucks when its hot out and you have a fair hike over the dunes. I will be upgrading this year.

Tom

definitly go with breathables first and foremost NO neoprene to heavy and they don't last and check out the cabelas catalog they have some nice ones and simms probably have the best around

Definately consider breathables first. I had neoprene but ended up getting another pair in breathable anyway. With mine I could still wear thermal with jeans underneath in the later months and walk and fish the beach comfortably. I didn't like neoprene in the warmer months. wink.gif

Breathables are nice - you can always layer up underneath for the very cold weather. You can wear them with shorts underneath in the sumeer and thermals in the winter biggrin.gif

I like the boots incoprated in the wader with a pair of korkers on when I hop on the rocks. When I ordered I got the boot size slightly larger then my shoe size. When standing the in the water the pressure of the water makes the boot feel tighter. Plus the extra pair of socks in the winter helps.

Might want to look at companies with good return policies as well. LLBean has a 100% satisfaction gurantee as does cabellas ??

Good luck.

Last summer I got the Hodgeman Lakestream breathables. Like everyone said on here, they are great! I have worn neoprenes before and I can't stand them. I might as well buy a wetsuit and go surfing while I'm at it. Also, Gjohnson hit it on the head with breathables- you just layer. I layer depending on weather obviously, and I am very comfortable in the spring, summer & fall equally. I try to stay away from the surf in the dead of winter so I can't comment on how they are then, although I imagine when you layer for winter it will be the same. I think I bought mine for 75 or 100 bucks at Dicks. Great all around waders- can use them in lake,stream, or surf no problem, very comfortable too. The only difference is I bought mine with the stocking foot- I just put a high rubber boot on in the surf- works for me.

Look at the cabella's catalog-Go with breathables boot foot get the boot a little larger for extra socks in the winter, and if you wind up that the waders are a little big, you can alway's put on extra pair of sweat pants and shirt for the winter.

I also have neoprene's , easy to wash down at the end of the day but TOO HEAVY .

If you can not afford the breathable's then look at the cabella's Three Forks™ Featherlight waders are designed with rugged heavy-duty 420-denier nylon that's been coated with PVC to guarantee they'll take punishment and still keep you dry. Elasticized top ensures a snug fit and bib-type construction comes up high on the chest and back and includes a Velcro®-closed pocket for storage. We've reinforced the adjustable suspenders to ensure they'll stay securely in place. Felt soles assure positive traction on slippery rocks

def go with breathables. Which brand is up to you really. If you dont usethem alot then theres really not much need to spend 300. But if you use them regularly simms goretex are tough to beat

Like Snaps, said...the Cabela's Three Forksâ„¢ Insulated Lug-Sole Chest Wader is a good choice. These are hands down the most durable waders I've ever seen. I have a pair of these and several other pairs of waders...and the Three Forks has lasted the longest...even when trout fishing and walking through briars. I've had the same pair for...wow...going on 14 years now? Maybe a little GOOP or patch work around the boot rim...but still work great. My other thinner and breathable waders (far more expensive) haven't lasted the test of time that's for sure.

I had Silverlabels, too. Bought them 6 years ago with a lifetime warranty. Both boots leaked after two years so I sent them back and they sent me a new pair. 2 years ago I started feeling some moisture again but I could deal with it. Last year both boots started leaking like crazy again to the point where they really served no purpose. I called Orvis and they told me the warranty on the waders when I bought them was 4 years confused.gif so I'm outta luck. What a load of crap. Time to move on. Looking at Simms but have been told they leak just as much as the next pair. And for 300 hundred or whatever what's the point. I put off the search for a decent pair for a while now but with spring getting close it's time to start looking again.