Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KenK

Gear

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just got the babies to bed. My wife is sick and my newborn just went down (finally). As I sit here pondering my life I come to the realization that I probably won't get out again this season frown.gif But, I will try to make up for it next year. So as I start to plan my next purchase I looked through some old posts on the VMI board. There is alot of good info there, but not everything in one place. So, I would love to know what everyone's 1st string gear setups are in the following situations:

Open Beach, Artificials 5/8 - 3 oz

Beach Jetty, Artificials 5/8 - 3 oz

Inlet, Canal, Jigs and Plugs 1 - 3 oz

Assume average wind and waves

Please let me know Rod, Reel and Line. The more detail the better.

Thanks and Happy Holidays, Ken Koehnlein

P.S. TimS, I would like to see smelly jelly on your site...I've been looking for it for a while. Any word on credit card ordering?

Ken, the immediate problem, as I see it, is that you are asking an awful lot of your beach and beach jetty rod, to cast 5/8ths as well as it will cast 3 oz. It's hard to find rods in the 7' to 8' range that will accept this wide a range of casting weights. Most of the typical ones the guys here use will not throw 3, rods like the Loomis SUR 1023 or the St. Croix 8'6" ones won't handle 3 very well. Even my Loomis SUR 965, which has a rated range of 1/2 to 2 oz, is very overloaded throwing 3. What I would probably do is go for a 9' rod that can handle the high end and still be able to throw 5/8ths without too many loops. For the inlet jetties, my personal favorite is still the Sabre 1088. It'll handle 1 to 3 with ease. Some guys like the 1089 for the little bit of extra oophm it gives in current. Next year I am going to test out a glass Harrington 540 on the jetties, it is one of the stiffest and strongest fiberglass blanks in the 8-1/2' range that I've ever seen.

As far as reels go, again, for that 5/8 to 3 oz range, I would go with a spinning reel. One that will handle braid, because then you can have it both ways, if you like mono for some applications. You can spool up with, say, 12 or 15# mono for the beach and 30# Whiplash or some other braid in that class. I would go up to something like 40# Rip Cord Si or 50# Whiplash for jetties. I don't use any mono under 20# test from the rocks, personally, when I still use mono.

I like the Daiwa SS2600 because it holds enough braid and mono. The Sustain 4000 is useful for me only for braid, it holds enough mono only in 10# test or under and that won't do it for me in the places I fish.

Ken I will tell you my first line rods for the applications you mentioned.

Open Beach Loomis Sur1023 With a Diawa 2600SS Spooled with 15# ripcord Si. Note I would spool up 25# rip cord next time......... this rod will handle all the open beach situations you will encounter. This tod is rated to 1.5 ounces, I have used 2 oz but I would not push it any further. I never really have to throw anything over 1.5 ounceso n the beaches so its not an issue.

Jetty/inlets canals etc. I use a Loomis SWR108-20-C with a Mag-elite, spooled with 50# whiplash. (ihave also used a penn 965 on this set up, the Mag is better) This set up will throw up to 4 ounces, though I would not want to throw 4 oucnes with it all day. This rod will throw things form a Bomber on up......I use this rod to jig usually.

Beach jetty rod, this is a gap I am currently looking to fill. I am thinking about a Sabre 1088 with a new Mitchell Neptune. I know the rod is a good one, but the reel is new and untested but when i saw one it looked like a winner, and totally sealed for 160$. I will spool this rod up with 50# whiplash.

The first two set ups i use currently and the last is what I am considering buying htis winter after allot of research and advice form many on this board and others....good luck.

JohnM

Ken, like the formidable Ditch Jigger, you'd be hard pressed to find a rod that will do 5/8oz to 3oz without some compromise. My Loomis SWR108-20C is capable, but it doesn't load well at the lower weights, but that's not a real issue once you get the feel for it. I've fished it down to 1/4 jigs and have no troubles, but then again, me and this rod have spent many, many long nights together getting to know each other...we worked it all out! wink.gif

To be honest, I only own 3 or 4 lures that weigh in at 3oz...a couple bottle plugs that I never throw and a big swimmer that I never throw. The biggest lure next to jigs that I use any amount of the time would be poppers in the 2oz range...almost all swimming lures I use are between 5/8 and 1 1/2oz. Now jigs are different, I throw jigs from 1/4 to 4 ounces...4 is a little much for this rod, but like I said, we worked it out! It loads the best at possibly 1 1/2-2 ounces, but it won't complain a bit at 3ounces. I'd love to own this blank wrapped as a spinner one day, but I have rods that do that job well enough, I just think we would bond quickly as I am so used to this conventional. As for reels to go on this rod, I'm partial to the Mag E****, but have an eye on this Penn Mag reel, the 525 I think. Where the Abu's have almost always outperformed the Penns is in casting...the Penn's always had a better drag. If Penn ever came out with a hot casting reel like the Mag E****, I'm afraid my green beauty might spend a lot more time inside.

Be forewarned, many of the people that have casted my Loomis tell me the butt's too short. For them possiblt, for me she's just right....love is indeed blind! If the butt feels a little short to you, check into the Lami XS91MHC...it's a great eeling/jigging stick that couples as a good plugging stick. All my life, I've never found a rod that I felt was perfect for jigging and eeling that was also perfect for plugging...they are just two completely different type of fishing and in general require two different action rods to handle them both perfectly. The perfect eeling/jigging stick is a little stiff for plugs...the perfect plugging stick is a little too soft for rigged eels and jigs. My Loomis, to me, is the perfect eeling/jigging stick, it's a little too stiff for plugs...not that it won't work, it's just bit stiff for general plugging. If you are not already adept at plugging conventional style, a spinner might be a better bet in the bomber size plug arena.

For the open beach, which mine is different than those of you that fish LI, I use an 8'6" Loomis SUR1023S...it's a ligher stick than most serious pluggers use, it's not suited at all for jetty fishing....it's ideal for me, my braids, and the surf that I fish. If the surf is up a bit, I'll grab the Loomis and throw jigs/poppers/bottles into the froth. The SUR1023S is another great friend of mine, we've got miles and miles of sand and many fish stories between us, it's not for everyone. It's not for when the seas are 5ft and the fish a long way off...it's mainly for average surf, 0-3 feet, it will do more, but I don't ask it to...I'll grab something bigger if I need more. It's softer tip cushions the braid against the head shakes of our quarry. It's got power down bottom to lean into the fish, it will wear them down, it's more of a patience game than the raw "kick yer butt" fishing of an eeling outfit and a jetty...but on the beach, you got room, you got time, you'll get the fish. On this rod, I have the Sustain 4000 loaded with 300yds of 30# Whiplash...and I ain't changing it till something better comes out, the Whiplash does all that I want. The Sustain is a 3 year old with the feel of a new born...it's been through some horrible things and it doesn't moan, I take care of it, it takes care of me. I would, however, keep my eye out for Mitchell to release some smaller versions of thier new Neptune...if they do, the Sustain might even be seeing more of the inside of my abode! As DJ said, the Sustain is not suitable for mono, it won't hold enough...but I don't ever fish mono anyway..that's why I got the Sustain. DJ and John both own the Diawa 2600SS...they like it, but I don't think it holds up that well, I've turned a few of them a couple years old and they all complained to me...the smallest grind or hesitation to me makes the reel a good candidate for my "donor program"...where they sit in a box and donate parts to other reels! The Sustain at 3years old is still a champ..I'd trade it in a breath for a similar sized Neptune reel, not that there's anything wrong with the Sustain, it's just that waterproof and maintenence free really hit home with someone who fishes 4-6 nights per week in season.

My newest outfit, got for Christmas, already logged 26 bass with it, the Mitchell Neptune and Lami XS10MS....very nice, very happy, very new still. The reel is first class, I'd not hesitate, even with only 3 trips on it, to recommend this reel to anyone looking for a $160 solution to the $500 (VS) problem! The rod is nice, it's new, but I'm thinking it will have real application when I need to toss a 2 oz something a long way off. I'm thinking it will be a better solution to a rough surf while fishing from the sand than even my 9ft Loomis that I've always gone to.

Hope this helps.....

TimS

Still fish my SUR1023S at times , the SS2600s sit on the bench now but were my primary plugging reel for a good 15 years.

Fishing Long Island, mostly jetties and open beach and mtk my go to set up is

10ft ODM Genesis 1oz-4oz, like Tim S I don't throw anything over 3oz really 

Penn Slammer 6500 (slammer serviced 3 times due to issues /Penn Spinfisher 6500 bailess (older model, never failed me)

30lb suffix braid

I have a zeebass 22 on order (3 months in process), going to pay for a reel thats bulletproof, so annoyed with reel problems 

Looking to downsize a bit, looking to move onto a 9' 9'6

I love ODM and will only be fishing ODM from here on out