Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Parrot6909

Mounting a rod rack on my Cherokee

13 posts in this topic

Ok, need a little help here. I have a new to me 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport. I bought a bumper mount rod holder but have no idea how to install it....need help. It looks like it will mount where the license plate is but now I have to find a place to put the license plate.

My main question...how do I drill through the bumper? I am handy but try to stay far away from car stuff...boats are more my thing. My concern is hitting a sensor (maybe I am nuts) and setting off the airbags or something. Any helpful hints would be appreciated. If someone is local I'd be more then happy to buy a case of your choice so I don't have to drill!

is this jeep a sport or a grand cherokee .if its a sport theres nothing behind the bumper its just a steel i beam ..if its a grand theres only a styrafoam cusion and then the reinforcement ..... no sensors.....biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

A center punch looks sorta like a nail set or pin punch. It has the sharp point on one end and you hit the opposite end with a hammer to create a dimple in the metal surface. This dimple holds the tip of your drill so it doesn't 'walk around' while cutting through.

Here's roughly how I would go about this one...

1) cover the area where you want to mount the rack with masking tape (gives you something to draw on and saves your bumper from unnecessary scrapes)

2) place rod holder on bumper (measure, use your eyes, have a helper, etc) mark hole locations on masking tape with pencil or marker

3) double check the rod holder is where you really, really want it to be

4) center punch your holes

5) drill holes with very sharp, small drill bit (1/8 or smaller) - this is your pilot hole the larger drills will follow so take your time and do it right

6) gradually increase drill size, drilling holes larger until you get to the final mounting bolt size

7) clean up any sharp edges with a file

Also, apply some sort of sealant around the holes you drilled before installing the bolts for the last time. Nothing worse than having rust start in holes from an accessory mount.

Thanks Russ! I have that tool out in the garage...now if I just had the mount....its sitting in my office, perfect. Gotta wait till Monday night. Thanks again!

well u can use nylon ties to put the LP on the rack...I don't really know how to mount it on the jeep itself, but if you PM me I can get some ppl who can help youcwm12.gif