Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gundalba

Zziplex Quattra/LCD Carp rod?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am hoping Mike Oliver, BigDave or Connman and some other gents. from UK might be kind enough to jump in on this...

Couple month back, I was in search of my ultimate long distance pencil plugging rod (1-3 Oz) but got busy and now I am restarting my search again.

I am hoping to pair this rod with Abu 6500/5500 size reels spooled with 30-50# braid. Primary targets to play with are Stripers and possibly Halibuts.

Here in the California, I met only one guy with Zziplex in past 20 years or so and never saw any tackle shop carrying these... So any hand-on opinions from anyone would be very much appreciated.

I heard some good words and kind hand-on descriptions on Conoflex Nevada, Gambit as well as PTX Light Bass and Bass.

As I did another round of search, I also noticed the spec. on these carp rods seems to be a good fit for my use. Could anyone be kind enough to share their thoughts on these rods?

Many thanks in advance,

Troy

Troy,

Let me say I have never handled the Zziplex carp rod. They maybe what you want but I don't know for sure. Carp rods are very different tools to spinning rods and typically start at 12 feet and have crap balances. They are made to put into rod rests.

Ok look the Light Bass is in my opinion based on many years of building them and fishing them the Zziplex Light Bass with about 6 inches taken off the butt section is the finest balanced 11 foot rod in the world. It is a great casting rod and has a fast through action. 1.5oz Bucktails are a joy to cast and control on the drift in a rip. 2.5 oz Bottle plugs and poppers will cast a country mile. Metals like Castmasters you are going to empty the spool on, trust me. More important this rod can play big stripers. many English blanks have too fast a tip section. Only the tip bends into a big fish and you are left struggaling with a long lever and the fish has the upper hand. Most English surf blanks are too stiff for use in the Striper surf. I have fished mine for 8 years in Montauk, so I know what this rod can do. Even the local Sharpies have cast an envious eye over it.

The PowertexBass is 12 foot 8 inches and more balanced to weights of 3 and 4 oz. But the balance is not good and I could not plug fish with this rod for very long. In fact I would not even bother. Great bait fishing rod where you are going to spike it.

The Lite Bass is also a fantastic bait fishing rod and because the balance is neutral if feels practically weightless. I hold mine for 6 hours stood waist deep and more in Irish surfs no probs and I am only a small Guy.

The light bass will work with small conventionals like the 6500 and a VS200 with conventional guide sets. So you get two rods in one package. I have been banging on for some time about this rod. I guess most of you are bored with it by now as I am repeating myself. Perhaps I should write a post and just cut and paste it. I spend too much time on the forums as it is.

Carp rods even Zziplex are not the tools for plugging or spinning. I know that if I could put my rod into your hands I would probably have to fight you to get it back. You Guys busted our butts some 200 years ago already so I don't think much of my chances.

I have built on other UK blank makers products and fished them too. They are very good some of them but for your surfs and Jetties etc for Stripers then it's Zziplex for me. Bear in mind that Zziplex is a small company and lead times can be long. 4 weeks is good 8 weeks is not unusual and can be very much longer depending on the time of the year.

Nough said.

Mike

Troy,

Let me say I have never handled the Zziplex carp rod. They maybe what you want but I don't know for sure. Carp rods are very different tools to spinning rods and typically start at 12 feet and have crap balances. They are made to put into rod rests.

Ok look the Light Bass is in my opinion based on many years of building them and fishing them the Zziplex Light Bass with about 6 inches taken off the butt section is the finest balanced 11 foot rod in the world. It is a great casting rod and has a fast through action. 1.5oz Bucktails are a joy to cast and control on the drift in a rip. 2.5 oz Bottle plugs and poppers will cast a country mile. Metals like Castmasters you are going to empty the spool on, trust me. More important this rod can play big stripers. many English blanks have too fast a tip section. Only the tip bends into a big fish and you are left struggaling with a long lever and the fish has the upper hand. Most English surf blanks are too stiff for use in the Striper surf. I have fished mine for 8 years in Montauk, so I know what this rod can do. Even the local Sharpies have cast an envious eye over it.

The PowertexBass is 12 foot 8 inches and more balanced to weights of 3 and 4 oz. But the balance is not good and I could not plug fish with this rod for very long. In fact I would not even bother. Great bait fishing rod where you are going to spike it.

The Lite Bass is also a fantastic bait fishing rod and because the balance is neutral if feels practically weightless. I hold mine for 6 hours stood waist deep and more in Irish surfs no probs and I am only a small Guy.

The light bass will work with small conventionals like the 6500 and a VS200 with conventional guide sets. So you get two rods in one package. I have been banging on for some time about this rod. I guess most of you are bored with it by now as I am repeating myself. Perhaps I should write a post and just cut and paste it. I spend too much time on the forums as it is.

Carp rods even Zziplex are not the tools for plugging or spinning. I know that if I could put my rod into your hands I would probably have to fight you to get it back. You Guys busted our butts some 200 years ago already so I don't think much of my chances.

I have built on other UK blank makers products and fished them too. They are very good some of them but for your surfs and Jetties etc for Stripers then it's Zziplex for me. Bear in mind that Zziplex is a small company and lead times can be long. 4 weeks is good 8 weeks is not unusual and can be very much longer depending on the time of the year.

Nough said.

Mike

I appreciate all of your great advice Mike and Troy and I not only are both in CA but have similar thoughts and am glad to get information on these rod blanks from people who have put them to real fishing use.

Primaz,

Thanks. And seeiing your post has just tweeked my consience as I promised you my build plan.Ok will get it to you shortly. You can kill even a light bass if you string it up with the wrong sized guides.

Mike

Thank you very much Mike for sharing your great insights and putting it so frankly..

I am now spoiled with such a kindness and thus able to make a shameless bump on this thread.redface.gif

No matter how many times similar postings may repeat on this board, I am sure that there will be always crowd wanting to hear more of such great advices.

P.S. I've been eying Light Bass for quite some time but also been looking at Nevada very closely as well. Could anyone compare them side by side?

-- Thanks

Gundalba,

I don't know the Nevada so I can't do you a comparison. But if you were to get the Lite bass you will be one happy surfcaster. It's not to say that there cannot be another rod to compare with it because that would be nuts and not everyone wants the same things in their rods. But if you want long range casting with a very light but extreemly strong rod. Slim blank, fantastic balance, casting between 1 and 3ozs with a fast recovery through action then the Lite Bass is the tool to seriously consider. Now when I say through action this is a relative term as when measured against typical UK fast action surf rods where only a very short section of the tip bends when into a fish. The lite Bass does not bend very deeply when casting which makes it a great casting rod but when loaded with a big Striper it will bend properly allowing you to play the fish efficiently.

Dam if I was better at PC stuff I have some pics of the Lite Bass being cast by myself in "M" from a small rock. This pics shows how nice qnd crisp the action is when the rod is under load from a 1.5oz Bucktail. I will see if I can get this pic posted. Or emailed to someone that can get it on here for you to take a deco at.

I also have a high regard for the Lami GSB132 1M and the 10 foot version to. These are fantastic home grown blanks. Proper fishing rods not just casting poles like so much of what comes out of Europe. You Guys are spoilt for choice.

I don't work for Zziplex by the way. I just have been fishing and building on their blanks for many years.

Mike

Thanks again Mike,

As I heard before, Light Bass does sounds like a great rod.

I mostly cast 2-3 Oz plugs on Batson SU1266/Abu 6500 and that's what I like to keep on doing.

Things that I hope to improve upon, though, and hoping to get some boost through this new investment are;

1. Distance (I do keep on practicing my casting skills. - I did just that last weekend. 4 hrs. of power casting practice against 10 knot head wind. BTW, I always find this is great for falling in sleep fast at night...wink.gif)

2. Better plugging action - I know there are other better fitting rods to choose from for this, if I weight this more. Though this comes as second and I just want a little better plugging action over my current SU1266.

3. Ease of transportation - Ideally 2 equal piece rod is what I am hoping. I have a Team Daiwa rod I got for chunking baits and tip section is quite longer then butt section. This created quite a headache for me both for transportation and storage. And that was why I was so tempted on the Carp rods on the subject and I still am hoping someone may provide comparisons against Nevada as well.

Cheers,

Gundalba,

One last thing. The Lite Bass is a right PITA to carry around. It has a long tip and short butt. Tip is around 8 feet. Can't tell how much fun I have bringing mine to The USA. We jam lift doors, train doors, taxis and knock people off their push bikes.

This blank cannot be made as a two equal section rod. Thats the only prob I am afraid.

Bailing

Mike

Mike,

8 ft is LONG...cwm31.gif

I think Nevada is even piece rod and sounds like a next best thing to Light Bass.

I really appreciate all the advices though. I am learning a LOT thanks to kind and knowledgeable gents like you.cwm15.gif

Thank you again!

Now, only if I can find a good source to get one here in the States...drool.gif

Hi,

I do own a Nevada and could not get on with it at all. Quality blank but I found it rather heavy for a 1-3oz blank. It was ringed with LowRiders for braid and fixed spool use. The Gambit ringed the same is great for 2-3oz lures, fast action but it's a lot of rod for lures any lighter and a heavy rod to fish all day. You can get this blank in a longer and/or stepped up format.

Zippy PTX Bass I have one rung for conventional reels and one with LowRiders. Superb blank for 2-4oz lures or bait fishing but again rather heavy to use lure fishing. Conoflex do a lure fishing blank, Barracuda or something like that, no idea what it is like. Zippy Light Bass I have not used one, yet!!!! WIP!!!

Disagree with Mike above, some carp rods are not unbalanced even at 12' and make excellent lure/surf rods. Not sure if you can get them in lengths less than 12' anymore and ready built they are all follow the big rings are best school of thought. Best thing is to go to a dealer with your reel and give some a waggle. None of the UK carp type rods are designed for conventional reels.

Zippy LDC is a cracking blank but it is 12'8" or thereabout. I believe there was a step by step build done on this blank on one of the Florida surfcasting forums. This rod cleaned up in the UK when they had a carp tackle distance casting competition a few years back.

Regards

Alan

essexalan,

I appreciate your hands on opinions, esp. about Nevada and suggestions on other possibilities.

Below is brief summary of the blanks and their specs. discussed here.

I don't have much of factory spec. for the Zziplex nor information on other UK carp rods that may work and also be available in US as well. So if anyone could, please fill me in.

Regards,

--------

It appears that Gambit which is a fantastic rod for casting 3-4 oz is not that suitable for any plugging type use.

The Nevada which seems to be positioned as little brother of Gambit yet very different in character specially in its action (more soft it seems?).

Zziplex Light Bass : sounds great yet it's very unequal length is the biggest issue for transferring them.frown.gif

LDC(and possibly Quattra as well) Is mainly designed for cast and stick it type use. Balance could be issue for plugging. Ones with good balance do exist though. (If the Carp's in Europe is anything like the ones in far east Asia, I do get the picture on this. wink.gif)

(My apology on columns not lining up, neither HTML table nor the fixed width font on msg. editor seems to work for mefrown.gif)

Length Butt Tip Lure Weight

Description Butt/Tip Dia. (64th's) Weight(oz) Action (blnk-oz.)

----------- -------- ---- -------- ---------- ------ -------

Batson (What I use now as reference)

SU1266F 10'6" 0.845 8.0 2-5* Moderate-Fast 7.33

Conoflex

Nevada 13: 76"/76"=12' .709 8(3.2mm)** 1-3 Medium 9.3

Gambit 24: 73"/73"=12' .787(20mm) 8(3.2mm)*** 2-4 (Fast?) ?

Barracuda****

Thief: Equal=11"™ 5.5" .913(23.2mm) 6.5(2.48mm) 2-4 ? ?

Zziplex

Light Bass: ? ? ? ? ? ?

Quattra: 75"/75"=12'6" .750 8 1-3 ? ?

*2-3.5 oz. IMHO

** Factory spec. I've seen 7.5 (2.90mm/.114") on some other respectable site in US.

*** Factory spec. I've seen 7.5 (2.90mm/.114") on some other respectable site in US.

**** "Originally designed to be easier on the wallet. This blank is tapered from butt to tip and has a more through action for those who like a "medium" action surf rod, this one will work well and not break the bank. Has a tip over butt ferrule. Excellent rod for the money. This one is rated bang-on as any more weight overloads the rod." - Quoted form US site

Mike,

8 ft is LONG...cwm31.gif

I think Nevada is even piece rod and sounds like a next best thing to Light Bass.

I really appreciate all the advices though. I am learning a LOT thanks to kind and knowledgeable gents like you.cwm15.gif

Thank you again!

Now, only if I can find a good source to get one here in the States...drool.gif

http://esvc000443.wic001ss.server-sh...p?idCategory=5 Here is a good link for custom rod tubes to store custom rods.

I have decided on the Zipplex light bass rod thanks to great help from Big Dave and Mike Oliver to name a couple. I believe 8' is stock but you might ask Mike and others here but I believe good set ups can utilize a shorted blank which may reduce the length to a easier size to carry? Using a custom rod case will protect your rod from damage when traveling.

Primaz is right in that I do shorten the rod but it is the seperate butt section from which I lop about 6 inches to give me an overall length of approx 11 feet The long 8 foot tip is left as it is. Kiss do good rod cases Google them up.

Mike

The lightest zzippy I have is the ptx bass , IMHO too much for fishing 1-3oz plugs , 2-4oz metals would be fine . For me it is primarily my light bait rod but I have used it for extreme range pluggin but this is a rare use even for me .

A new zzippy I would like to see is the Profile and Profile Lure , have you played with either one yet Mike ?

The lightest zzippy I have is the ptx bass , IMHO too much for fishing 1-3oz plugs , 2-4oz metals would be fine . For me it is primarily my light bait rod but I have used it for extreme range pluggin but this is a rare use even for me .

A new zzippy I would like to see is the Profile and Profile Lure , have you played with either one yet Mike ?

Connman,

I totally agree with you about the PTB much to much rod for plugging. 12 foot 8 inches of refined carbon that it undoubtably is. But as a 2-4ozs bait fishing rod that will be fished from a rod spike can't beat it.

1-3 oz then Lite Bass comes to the fore.

Now I was talking to Zziplex today and I did not know about these new blanks. So looks like I will be calling Terry Carol again tommorow.LOL.

Zziplex does a blank called the Bass Marine which is like a Lite Bass but 10 foot and thicker walled. I have ordered a couple just to evaluate them. Big Dave is the man to ask about this blank.

I normally will not pass an opinion on a rod or blank that I have not fished with or at least cast or built.

If these lure blanks look like they could have application in the USA I will order some and try em out. So please be patient for a reply or hope someone else gets their hands on them and can give you an informed opinion.

Mike