Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave S

caddis flies

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Just trying to expand on the selection of caddis dries I have in the box (I only have two- elk wing for riffles and a tent wing for slow/still watter. )

I'm looking for more patterns on the slow/still water side of things since I had a skunk of a time last year fishing a slow flow area of a local stream with a hatch going off with trout rising everywhere.

So let's hear it- what's your favorite/go to slow/still water caddis dry???

ever try swinging a flymph at 'em?

last year i ran into a couple of days with every fish in the stream exploding all around me - they were slashing at emerging caddis. i had some really nice fishing. to be honest the biggest fish i caught were taken on BIG dry flies not the caddis that they were actually feeding on.

ever try swinging a flymph at 'em?

icon14.gif

funny you should mention that. One of the things I tried was to tie on a wet fly where I applied floatant to the wing only to try to imitate an emerger. That got some looks but no takers.

I think it was Fly Rod and Reel mag. This month that had a cool Caddis pattern that used some burlap looking matl for the wing. very cool, little hackel, very realistic. If I can find it I will post a link. Sounds like a swap to me??? biggrin.gif

ehhhh no swap for me right now- thanks anyway. cwm31.gifredface.gifcwm27.gif

Thanks also for the tip on the article- I'll have to take a look this weekend for it. icon14.gif

I don't have it, but I think there is a whole book dedicated to caddis flies by Gary LaFontaine, if I recall. Guessing there would be more than a couple dry patterns in there. Someone on here has to have it, any comments?

My favorite caddis dry fly would have to be the elk hair caddis. One day a few years ago up on a trout stream in northern maine My grandfather used it. After I saw the fish he caught on it I was hooked.

I have to agree with Striperslayer, elk hair caddis are the way to go. I also recently came up with a pattern that I plan to test this summer. Here is the recipe:

The Krystal Kaddis

Hook: Standard Dry, Size 14

Thread: Black, 6/0

Tail: Pearl Krystal Flash

Abdomen: BWO Superfine Dubbing

Wing: Elk Hair, Tied Down-Wing Style

Parachute Post: White Or High-Vis Antron Or Poly

Thorax: Same As Abdomen

Hackle: Grizzly, Tied Parachute Style

It is an untested pattern, however, and if you cast it to a rising 18-inch brown and it flees in horror, dont PM me!wink.gif

The Krystal Kaddis

Hook: Standard Dry, Size 14

Thread: Black, 6/0

Tail: Pearl Krystal Flash

Abdomen: BWO Superfine Dubbing

Wing: Elk Hair, Tied Down-Wing Style

Parachute Post: White Or High-Vis Antron Or Poly

Thorax: Same As Abdomen

Hackle: Grizzly, Tied Parachute Style

Hmmmmm sounds interesting. icon14.gif

CDC and Elk. You wrap the body with the butt ends of a CDC feather and when you get to the head you fold back the tips and wrap to make them look like legs. Stack a clump of elk a la Al Troth's Elk hair caddis at the head, trim the butt ends and that's it. Troth's EHC is more of a Western pattern, floats great in the bigger water.

CDC and elk- I've seen that one somewhere just dont remember.headscratch.gif

I know I have some CDC at home somewhere I'll have to dig it out ths weekend to give it a go.

I like the old standards (Elk Hair Caddis , etc), but really like surface film/emerger patterns like Fox's Poopah, Anderson's Bird of Prey, and Z-Wing caddis. They seem to work at all times even during egg laying, perhaps because many caddis species supposedly dive under water to deposit their eggs.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/poopah.htm

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/birdprey.htm

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/zwingcad.htm

To get the tying instructions just click on the link under neath the first photo on the page.

Of course their is always LaFontaine's Deep Sparkle Pupa for the pupa phase, too

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/sparpupa.htm

This guy's site is a great reference, sort of a one stop shop (non-commercial) if you fish in California. He covers all sort of western flies and areas. Here is the main fly page that lists all sorts of caddis flies and other trout flies. I guess that a lot of these would work anywhere if you adjust the colors for your locale.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/flybox.htm

There is also a great pattern called the CDC Biot Caddis ( as well as a a great step-by-step tutorial for it and Fox's Poopah) on troutflies.com, but you'll have to find that on your own since it would be a commercial link.

icon14.gif

funny you should mention that. One of the things I tried was to tie on a wet fly where I applied floatant to the wing only to try to imitate an emerger. That got some looks but no takers.

i like to tie on multiple flymphs - two or three, using different body colors. i fish them down and across with the rod tip down so they can sink, and then lift the tip as the line tightens toward the end of the drift, simulating the pupae rising to the surface (aka the leisenring lift). most strikes occur at the end of the drift as the fly is rising much like the natural would. they usually slam it, so hold on!