Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonny

Squid Fly Step-By-Step

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I see that some others, like Tool and M. Sax., have been playing around with the squid fly I posted and reproducing in one try what took me months to get right. You guys are impressive! Some folks have asked for a step-by-step, so at the risk of being a little presumptuous, I figured I'd take em up on the invite. I've seen and learned from some great ones on these boards -- Gilbey's snake fly tutorial was one that really sticks out. Here goes:

1. Cut out a rectangle of siliskin, or better yet, Brad Buzzi's Gooey Body (doesn't stretch as much) and lay saddles along the piece in staggered lengths. Leave a little tab of uncovered siliskin/gooey body on one end to create the tab that will hold the ring together when you later roll it up. The stickiness holds the saddles temporarily, but then I coat the stems with plasti dip to bond them permanently to the rubber stuff. Lay aside to dry.

2. Tie three reverse-tied (hollow-tied) collars of the hair you want to use -- in this case Yak hair -- and post each back. In this fly, I palmered in some "Palmer Chenille" between the collars to add some flash and inner sparkle to the mantle. You can use anything here -- bodibraid, estaz, wrapped hackle or marabour, etc. To get the in between materials between the collars, you have to tie the hair for the next collar in facing forward over the hook eye and then return back to the previous collar to fill in the gap, after which you can then post the hair back, hollow style. Tie off at the head.

3. Next, reverse the hook in the vise and tie in some half hitches or a whip finish to gather the tail end fibers into place. This step, while not necessary, makes it easier to place the tail assembly.

4. Now, roll the siliskin/saddle assembly into a ring with the diameter you want for the head/eye area. The tab of uncovered siliskin helps here. Slide the ring over the tied down tail -- there shouldn't be any stickiness left to catch on the hair because it's all been covered either by the glue or wrapped over itself. I usually also stick on the eyes to the siliskin at this point as well.

(continued next post)

5. Now cut or slide the whip-finish knot off of the end of the tail and slide the tail assembly GENTLY back to near the end of the fibers. The fibers spring out and hold the eyes/tentacles in place.

6. Hang the fly vertically in the vise and, again GENTLY, use the injector bottle (a la Steve Farrar) to place plasti dip all the way around the ridge of the siliskin ring that connects to the hair. Also cover the periphery of the eyes. I've been finding that if you apply the glue this way in two steps, the tentacle assembly becomes so bonded to the hair that you can't even rip it off with out breaking the hair itself. You can also glue a tiny bit at the other and of the siliskin ring -- where the feathers come out -- but it's not really necessary.

7. Here's the completed fly.

Nice fly, and GREAT instructions icon14.gif . Thanks for taking the time to put that together for us smile.gif .

Alan

I saw those earlier and thought that I would try to tie a couple. NOw with this instruction, I am going to try tying them immediately.

Jonny -

thanks so much for showing your tying instructions. You make it look so easy, when I damn well know better than that.

I met you at the Bear's Den Circus. It was great to see you and Davidstrout there side by side.

Two VERY talented tyers.

- ATG

Thank you Jonny!! I am going to have alot of fun with variants of this one!!

Now, if I can just get myself somewhere where I could fish squid flies for bass...