Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dena

fish finder suggestions

16 posts in this topic

i have a wilderness systems sit in yak. i am looking to rig a fish finder in it. i looked in some catalogs and on line and there are so many choices. what do you like/ dislike about yours? why did you get the one you did? what features should i get, and avoid. also what kind of battery? i guess the one outta the old chevy ain't gonna cut it. thanx for your help.

12 volt rechargable battery \\ get a spare if addicted to fishing

Cabela's

An Eagle Cuda will do it, but I opted for a Seafinder & a bigger screen.

If I had the $ I would have gotten a color \\ GPS unit

I'm not sure but there is a website that is advertising the new Cuda 250. It is a combination plotter and fishfinder. I think they were advertising it for about250 or 300 bucks. From reading the specs on it I think it would be a really good one for Yaks. I'm trying to locate one locally for my yak.

Jimmy

Please do not post links to commercial sites, take the time to re-read your users agreement. MM

I don't know what I don't know so take this with a grain of salt.

I picked up a Lowrance/Eagle Seafinder 245 DS. I liked it for a couple reasons: dual beam transducer for better shallow water readings up to 120 degrees; incandescent backlighting; sealed and waterproof ( I can't imagine they make one that isn't but); and it was under 100 clams. I went through the demo at West Marine before I decided to buy it from some little known, seldom visited auction site.

I haven't even begun to think of where to mount it on my SOT. Battery choice was the rechargeable type sdf mentions, but I may go down to 8 AA batteries for the weight saving and ease of storage.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15813&d=1157

SeaFinder 320 Dual Frequency swivels all over the place on a RAM mount

no problems shooting through the hull.

dielectric grease on all electrical connections - salt water kills

dielectric grease on all electrical connections - salt water kills

icon14.gif

I'll second the dual cone suggestion. If you fish in any skinny water, you'll appreciate it.

It all depends on the money you want to spend. There are ton of models to choose from. Buy what you want and can afford. Any unit can be made to work.

I go the rechargeable AA route. I get at least 2 days of 4 hours of fishing per charge. As a back up, I have some regular AA's in my dry bag. If you need any help with a setup like this, let me know. I also use RAM mounts. You can get them cheap on that site mentioned above. You don't need to buy one specific to your fishfinder. I bought one for a different model because it was only 10.00 on that site. I cut some poly board to match the base of my FF then trimmed the mounting plate on the RAM mount and screwed it on.

I have my eye on the Seafinder 245 DS, also! I have read that dual beam transducers are not good for thru hull application! Does anyone have problems with it? Of course the store doesn't carry dual beam argue.gif. Under a hundred is a good priceclapping.gif

I have a dual beam Humminbird (PiranahMax 20) No problems.

BTW You can get Dielectrlic grease at a auto parts store. I found this out after looking for it at several Radio Shacks and electronic stores.

I used Marine Goop.

I used to use a 8 AA battery holder pRS1C-2160158w345.jpg cause it weighs less. Got about 30 hours out of it. Could not find them after the last one rusted so now I have 2 6V lantern batteries wired in series. Kept in a dry bag.

Wow, thats easy! Good to know M Goop works! I use it on the yak for every thing! I thought it dried too cloudy and bubbly to work! I like the semi perm install idea cool.gif If you were doing it over, would you use Goop again?? Thanks again!wink.gif

thanx for all of the replies. a lot of good suggestions. i like the 8 rechargables idea. i would have to rig some kind of battery holder. i take it that the fish finder units don't draw much current. does your owners manual give you current draw info? it is usually in milliamp hour units. that would help decide the size battery needed. but two 4 hr days a charge is good for me. i would guess the big power draw is the transducer. lcd screens are not power hungry.

another question, did you use the transducer that came with your unit? did you use it as a "thru hull" by imbedding it in marine silicone of some kind?

thanx again.

john c.

cool.gif If you were doing it over, would you use Goop again?? Thanks again!wink.gif

Sure. My first kayak I used 5200 but that dries so hard that it popped off the transducer when it was against the roof rack. Never had a problem with goop. Both times I used it I put a paving stone on top of the transducer for a day to get it smooth.

Dena

Thru hull is the only way to go. Anything that sticks out from the kayak you will eventually break off when you are sliding it into pickup, roof rack, around the garage etc. BUT I'm still waiting for someone to figure out a good way to use a Fishin'Buddy (Think side scan sonar to see the fish ahead of you) in a yak.

I don't see on the huminbird site what the power draw is.