Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

I need some steel pins

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

About 9/16 x 10 or 12 inches. I want to mount some floating shelves on a wall mounting 1 1/4 maple boards on steel pins drilled in the studs.

So, where can I get these???

Thanks! Mike

the big boxes sell steel rods ...

in lowes look in the hardware section ...

most of the local hardware stores do too ..

if you still can't find want you want there , google McMaster- Carr

by mail MANHATTEN SUPPLY COMPANY, or MCMASTERS. I am a toolmaker so i am in these books every day. Ask for a catalouge they got everything from a to z.

Any welding shop can order in some 20 foot lentghs and cut them up for you. That being said I would not drill into the studs but place the rods into wood which is then screwed into the studs.

That being said I would not drill into the studs but place the rods into wood which is then screwed into the studs.

headscratch.gif

Didja miss the part about them being floating shelves? Or didja want him to open his wall just to put up a few shelves?

Unless he's puttin the shelf a foot off the floor, or has perchance sconces on the wall on either side at the height he wants the shelf, there's little to no chance of there being anything running thru the wall. Should have nail plates anyway, to prevent problems. If his house is so old it dont have nail plates, I'll bet dollars ta donuts it aint got nuthin' runnin' horizontally anyway. Specially at shelf height.

If yer worried about the structural integrity of the studs, well he's replacing the wood with steel.