Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fly By Nite

Abu junkies: a problem

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The most bizzarre thing happened to one of my 7700CL's. MOst of the time i use this reel in places that require short and accurate casts near shadow lines wink.gif but i used one of them to make long casts with 2 to 3 oz jigs in other places. My friends opt for the spinner in these spots, but i like using the conventional for other reasons.

SO, this thing has two bearings on each side of the spool. The one that marries the pinion gear is held into place with a cir-clip. I remove the circlip and the bearing (for maintenance) and when i reinstall it, the circlip doesn't fit the same. The shape changes slightly when i remove it and when it's installed again it's "loose".

I fished the crap outta this reel for two months and towards the end of last season i remember it was jamming when it was in free-spool during the cast.

I just tore it down yesterday and i see this mangled peice of metal interfering with the pinion gear. I had no idea what it was until i opened up the side plate and the bearing fell out. cwm27.gif That stupid circlip came out of the flange and got in the way of the pinion gear, probably from casting hard. How do you remove the circlip without damaging it? Should i always replace it with a new part each time i remove it? headscratch.gif

Not sure what to say about this problem; however, here's what I do.

If you look at the end of the spool, you will see a slot that is formed across the end--this slot accepts the clutch plate. At the opening of that slot, I use a pair of tweezers (get some with a fairly fine tip) and pull the circlip straight to the side until it disengages.

To attach the circlip, place one side of the "C" under the lip of the spool and then expand it only enough to snap into place. Just don't manhandle the clip, because as you have discovered, it is somewhat delicate.

Hope this helps.

I use a small jewelers screwdriver. They are usually available to repair eyeglasses. Just try not to stretch it out of shape as was already stated.

Steve

It is probably just as easy to replace with new just make sure it's a good grade for the enviorment. Industrial retaining ring Company also makes the tool from the A-2 and up, the A-9 or 10 will handle most C clips on reels.

Dave Sr.

I have no clue what size circlip this is. Since i just damaged my last spare i'll have to get some more. Well...it's not totally hosed...it jiggles a little, but probably loose enough so that i won't be able to cast hard with it. redface.gif

Fly,

You should be able to pick up some circlip spares at a local reel repair shop.

If not, you can get them from Abu at Spirit Lake IA--but then you have to pay postage. They might even give them to ya.