Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldfielder

Entry Level Setup?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Wondering what I should be looking at as a decent saltwater, entry-level setup. I'd like to do a little harbor wading and fishing from the platform on the bow ofmy boat.

This will be a learning setup and need not break my bank. So suggestions on what I should look at spending on rod/reel/line would be greatly appreciated.

What's your budget? Have you ever fly-fished?

Go to a shop and cast some rods. That always helps...helps you to buy an expensive one that is!! drool.gif

I'll be posting some lightly used combo's within the next few weeks, rods, reels w/ lines and rod tubes. Saltwater 6wt - 12wt's. Rods buy Temple Forks, Lomis, and Gold Cup. Reels by Galvin, Old Florida, and Gold Cup. Lines by Rio.

I always buy the best gear I can afford (operative word afford). With so many options available for so many conditions, for me the first place to start is in my wallet.

First, determine how much you are willing to spend for a complete (rod reel line) set-up. Then begin the search.

Contrary to my llogic when I started I wish I had saved my money and spent a little more on some better equip. Sometimes learning with inferior equipment will take 2X long to master. Once you have settled on a price range then you'll be better suited with direction for which manufacturer.

My first set-up was a Fenwick HMG 9wt rod n reel combo I bought to use on Salmon while working in AK. With so much over-lap between salmon and striper fishing gear I began using it in the salt. It worked fine, but there are better out there and in time I upgraded when I had the money.

I do so many kinds of fishing that this isn't really something I'm planning to become obsessive about-I know, impossible for a fisherman-but I have some great flats where I live and some good access by dinghy, walking and by my boat. So, the bottom line is that I want to start out with something I can learn with that is relatively inexpensive, will forgive me a few times when I make mistakes, but will also handle a decent fish. I am a newbie, but I'm fairly agile so I expect it will be fun to try to pick up this new genre of fishing.

I have been on one of my local harbors during a cinder worm hatch where the flies were absolutely slaying the fish while we spinners watched helplessly.

I seem to go against some of the thinking on this topic. I think that a TFO Series 1 or Professional rod, or ECHO rod is a fine rod for someone looking to learn on and if they decide they like fly fishing they can continue to use the setup, or use it as a back-up outfit. A Teton Tioga reel, SciAnglers reel and a decent line from SciAnglers, Cortland, RIO or Airflo should set them up pretty good.

If traveling with a 2pc rod is not a problem then the Series1 rod from TFO for around $100 is a decent rod that will help you learn the sport and catch fish. I love my 4wt, and suspect they are the same blank as the Professional series, just in a 2pc rather than a 4pc setup.

I'd start with a Teton Tioga #10. Easily found on e-bay in the 100.00 range. For the money, you can't beat it with a stick.

I second that. Look into a TFO rod.

I don't believe in buying used (unless absolutley necc.). Never have, never will.

I don't believe in buying used

Never have, never will.

interesting- why so?

obviously, you never had a bad experience.....since you never purchased any fishing stuff used......

I'm wondering why a person that never has purchased a used fishing item can recommend to another not to but usedheadscratch.gif

I bought a 10wt TFO used............not a problem.....and a Redington LA used.......not a problem.....waders used, some korkers and a few other do-dads used...........nada problemo................

I also bought more stuff (than I'll admit to) new......other than paying more, did'nt have a problem either way........................

Also wanted to add that I also have the TFO Pro Series in 10wt and it is a decent rod - it is not a Sage RPLXi or T&T Horizon serirs, but it works for me.

I bought a Quest 8 wt. package from LL Bean as my first salt outfit about 5 yrs ago. I fished it every season since. I think I spent around $180 for the package. I have to say it was a great rod and reel for the money to get me started. I just replaced it for this coming season with a Scott/Old Florida outfit. I guess my only advice if your going to buy new, is to buy from a company with a good warranty. I also have a TFO, and the warranty was one of the reasons I bought it.smile.gif

. I also have a TFO, and the warranty was one of the reasons I bought it.smile.gif

same as my Redington. TFO and Redington have to be the first choices of those on a budget or occasional SWFFers.

btw - there is an Redington 8/9 and Scientific anglers reel on the BST forum for $125 which i think is a bargain.

if not as to reels i would look at the Okuma graphite, carbon reels as they are cheap and not being metal won't rust.

GB