Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZacS

Need Advice - Kitchen Remodel

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I am well into remodeling my kitchen, and I could use some advice. So far I have gutted the entire kitchen, ripped out the sub floor, re-floored, put in cabs, granite counters, tile&grout.

I am in the home stretch and I have conflicting ideas about what to do with this wall.

The previous homeower had tacked up some drywall, but it was barely secured, and it looked horrible. It came down so easy it was almost scary.

On the other side of this wall is a fireplace, so these blocks can get pretty warm.

What should I do?

wall1.jpg

wall2.jpg

I also have to figure out what to do with that built in cabinet. I will probably rebuild it with maple and get stain & a door to match the cabinets I put in.

I will probably tile on top where my oils are, and maybe around the border that is formica now.

Also need to cover this wall by the stove and sort this whole thing out and make it look good. I will post pics of the whole remodel when I am done.

wall3.jpg

All advice is much apprecaited.

Zac

The better question is what do you want to do with that wall? I see a door/hall opening at one end. Is it a hallway, or part of a wide open space?

Could you fit shelves, shallow cabinets or a bakers rack? You could tile it, sponge paint it, put up a mural, cover it in those fake tin ceiling panels. The same for behind the stove.

What do you want to do with the area?

KOQ,

Thats the big question....

I don't know. Thats why i posted here.

I am looking for suggestions.

Basically, i think the cement block look is ugly and I want to make it look much nicer.

looking for ideas.

Can I plaster over it or will the paint &/or heat of the chimney be a problem.

shelving won't work in that area.

OK, so you looking for more of a decorative finish.

Like I wrote, sponge paint, ceramic tile or a mosaic would look good. It's a big blank canvas. You could paint the individual blocks one color and paint the grout lines a different color.

You could fir the wall out with 1 by and sheet rock it, or use fire rated sheetrock depending on how hot that wall really gets.

You could strip the old paint, or at least rough it up and skim it with plaster.

How about that tack board or cork board? You could paint it with the magnetic paint stuff, or that chalk board stuff. We did that in my basement and it's pretty cool.

If you've got any artistic ability or know someone that can paint, a mural would look way cool. An underwater scene perhaps? The local high school might have some students looking for extra credit.

If it turns out like crap you can always paint over it.

How about some cultured stone veneer over the block? Or even brick? Might give a cool, rustic, country look to it.

Alan

You said the chimney gets "pretty warm" What exactly does pretty warm mean? Warm to the touch or hot enough to make a small child cry?

tile floor looks new and nice. Behind that stove, I would put up a nice tile backsplash to compliment the floor, and add a nice stucco job on the cinder blocks. What is that box/cabinet thing, is that for spices or is it a fuse box?

Now we're talkin-

i've had a fire going since noon, and it is just about 5PM now. It is about as hot as it will get, and if I had to guess, i would say it may be 170 degrees. So that is about as hot as it gets. Wouldn't make a kid cry, but would come close.

I just laid all that tile, and the thought of more tile is not giving me warm fuzzies

What does this mean: "You could pack it out, use rigid insulation and rock/tile/ beadboard it." Specifically what does 'pack it out' mean.

The box is a big cabinet. I use it as a pantry. I will have to rebuild the facing with maple and stain to match the cabinets i hung.

RE:

Cultured Stone

Stucco

Plaster

Are these things I can do as a non professional, but enthusiastic DIYer?

Could use subway tile from 36" and up and then use wainscotting on the lower half. First I would just laminate some sheetrock against the block no need for furring strip use some thinset and press the rock against it it'll stick. break the joints on the tiles and use a band about 12" from the ceiling.

Dave Sr.

I have plans to do my own chimney in cultured stone in the Spring/Summer. I have never done it before, but from speaking to folks who have and reading a bit about it I am confident that I can manage, and from the sounds of it, I think you can too icon14.gif .

Alan

Could use subway tile from 36" and up and then use wainscotting on the lower half. First I would just laminate some sheetrock against the block no need for furring strip use some thinset and press the rock against it it'll stick. break the joints on the tiles and use a band about 12" from the ceiling.

Dave Sr.

Good ideaicon14.gificon14.gif I would use 5/8 Type X not for the fire rating(the block already has that covered)but for strength.