Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kings over Queens

Does anyone understand their kids report cards

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

My nephew got a "Needs improvement" in skipping last year. Since when is "skipping" a subject? Apparently it falls under motor skills. The kid is a dynamite athlete. He is light years ahead of kids 2 years older than him in baseball but the teacher went out of her way to write comments on his report card about his skipping ability. Skipping?cwm12.gif

What's with all this "Exhibits Satisfactory Performance" crap today?

I don't get it. headscratch.gif

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Ok, get out your tinfoil hats.

This is the stuff X-files are made of...

The current education system is conditioning your child

to conform to authoritarian society. aka corporation dominance.

The roots of the modern public education system dates back to pre-WWI Germany/Prussia. At that time, the social need was for a modestly educated, easily controled working class. So to keep factories running and to increase profits, the robber barons invented public schools.

Seems like a pretty altruistic thing to do, huh? Not so fast. They also intended to segregate the populous into distinct social classes and to so divide society the public would never gain a collective momentum to challenge the elites. So in effect, those who were most compliant would be rewarded with status bumps and those who challenge the status quo would find themselves shoveling coal in the dark satanic mills of Europe.

What's that have to do with my kids report card you say?

Performance is not assessed through mastery of a given subject of study.

If your child is a wiz at math or science they will never achieve "satisfactory performance" if they have any behaviour or attention issues.

See, its about conditiong the childs behaviour not learning to learn.

Do you remember when we were in school how we were grouped according to status/smarts? Were you a smart one or dumb one? Does it seem odd that schools would create the impression that some are better people or somehow more desireable people than others? Not to mention that such self-concept/esteem stigmas will last a lifetime. The roots of class warfare are in there somewhere. It is mass scale behavioral conditiong to obey authority. Emphasis is placed on convergent thinking not creative thinking. Everyone must have the same answer for the conditioning to work. That is the root of most "isms" conformity and compliance.

Today's current attack on public education (vouchers, NCLB) and the insane focus on standardized tests leave the schools little room to teach. What they end up doing is manageing childrens behaviour to try and produce the best "statistical" outcome for the school district. So what I'm saying is the schools need a paper trail to justify the segregation, forced medication, ect. And a report card is step one in building the paper trail that goes beyond pass/fail and letter grades. Access to higher education, employment ect is controled and monitored, and the report card is just one of the first steps to build your "permanent record".

Very good Punk, had some issues when my kid scored high on the test , he was in the advanced math classes.HE ALSO was in the top of the class, yet the following year when his standard test scores were average he was demoted.The system forgets about the kids and worries about pension, healthcare, and unions.I told my wife that open school night was like a dog and pony show selling some cheap stocks

My 5th grade son gets grades, as did I.. He gets mostly 90's and up as I did NOT! My 1st grade daughter, in the same school, gets letters.. All A's so far but she did call my wife crying and said "I got a N slash A" (n\\a) LOL biggrin.gif

I've noticed a complete lack of meaningful grades until High School.

BTW KOQ -- What was the grade on the prodigal son's project??

In Jr. High and High School, we would get two grades in each subjest......the first one was your real grade based on test scores, homework, etc.. The second one was a grade that was evaluating whether the student was working up to their ability.

I often wondered about the kids that would get a "D" for their real grade, and get an "A" for their second grade.......talk about a kick in the nuts.....wink.gif