Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finally

Everybody's Favorite Epoxy

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever tried Envirotex Lite ?? It's probably the most used brand among the lure building crowd, very tough and clear.

I had to do a repair last Sept, was out of Flex Coat, and gave the Envirotex a try. It's on the stripper guide on my Fischer 8720, my go to rod, and so far has held up really well and looks great.

I'm going to experiment a bit more with it this year.

Suds, Envirotex is used heavily in Australia. I do not know why, does it happen to be made over there? I believe I was told the cost to ship epoxy overseas is high, or there are laws prevents the shipping of epoxy. I do not know exactly, but I do know it is used by many of the AU builders. I believe it is similar to Flex Coat, but do not quote me on that.

I used to use Flex Coat, but got tired of the yellowing after being out in the sun. Now I use Aftcote and love it. Longer pot life, way more flexible, and stays clear.

I used classic coat before and found that the finish never got "hard". By that I mean that after it cured (and three years later) you can still get it to dent with your fingernail if you push hard enough. I like Afcoat and was always a fan of Flex Coat light on those plain rods where yellowing isn't a factor. How is the Threadmaster and other than not yellowing what are the pro's and cons of it? How does it flow? Does it have to turn for 22 hours? Is it easy to level? Does it play well with other finishes?

Fianally,

Tough question this. It's abit like asking what type of women you prefer. Everone gots a different take for different reasons. Sometimes reason don't come in to the reckoning either.

There are a lot of very good finishes out there. Flex coat is supposed to go a bit yellow and maybe it does a tad and is more obvious on light coloured thread wraps but on my black blanks and dark green NCP thread, can't say I have noticed.

Thread Master, Afcot, Flex coat. They all have their quirks but all do a good job. My suggestion is just go and buy one learn how to apply it well and see what happens before moving on if you ever do. I have only ever used two finishes. Flex coat std and stuff called Gibbs which is a Canadian product. Both are applied with similar techniques both work well. Job done for me. It can be fun to try others but expensive if you get it wrong. Rod buillding is also about experimentation and going it alone making mistakes and paying for them. Boy does that sharpen the learning curve and increrase your actual knowledge in a practical way rather than by book learning and the stuff you read here and other forums..

I just switched from flex coat to threadmaster. The difference in clarity is obvious--threadmaster is a much clearer finish where flex has a slight yellowish tinge.

Threadmaster seems to set up faster, so I have had to mix smaller amounts at a time.

I just switched from flex coat to threadmaster. The difference in clarity is obvious--threadmaster is a much clearer finish where flex has a slight yellowish tinge.

Threadmaster seems to set up faster, so I have had to mix smaller

amounts at a time.

Slappy,

I have read great things about threamaster. But as you have pointed out they all whilst being silmilar have their little quirks. Flec Coat does have quite a long open working time but does yellow a bit. The shorter working time of threadmaser will not be an issue for guys that work quickly and with confidence. Even with flex coat I do at least two seperate mixes when finishing a surf rod with double footed guides. Way to go for even depth of finish and good control in my view anyway. How long does threadmaster take to go touch dry.