Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grandmaster Angler

What is your opinion? / Lure optimized.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Optimized lure. What is your opinion?

1. No crimp in the steel leader / Used knots perfection knot and finished end knot leader with snelling knot 30 lbs mono nylon.

2. Tail treble hook red VMC Scorpic Number 8538 / 3X Strong

GMA wink.gif

Nice!

The knots in the leader are 'clean' and won't hang-up with seaweed...

The use of a bait hook - pretty cool looking. Seems like it would make a better "belly" hook IMHO.

I agree with SallyGrowler, I'd swap the hook placements. That red hook should line up with the belly so the larger hook point rides straight down. That hook point will do all of the work, while the others sit up against the belly like a cradle. The red will also look like "bleeding from the gills"

If cable is necessary for the species you seek, then that's a great rig. icon14.gif

I agree with John about the hook placement...if the species you seek tends to aim for the front of a lure or is likely to get the entire lure in their mouth. However, if the fish tend to grab at the back half of the lure, that hook placement is fine...and if we're going with the red hook = blood theory, it would look like the bait is bleeding from the tail and might be less likely to get away. I don't buy the red hook = blood thing, but that's only cause red turns to gray underwater at fairly shallow depths.

TimS

Here's my opinion on hook placement--I'd want the better hook where the type of fish I was seeking would attack its prey.

I'm assuming that barracuda are tail-grabbers like bluefish, so I'd put the red VMC on the tail for those.

For headhunters, like stripers, I'd hang it off the belly.

Here's my opinion on hook placement--I'd want the better hook where the type of fish I was seeking would attack its prey.

I'm assuming that barracuda are tail-grabbers like bluefish, so I'd put the red VMC on the tail for those.

For headhunters, like stripers, I'd hang it off the belly.

And no, Tim and I didn't compare notes before I posted, nor did I have a chance to read his--I don't type all that fast biggrin.gif

Which also begs the question - if we're all considering that the "better" hook...why not have one on the front and one on the tail? smile.gif

TimS

Which also begs the question - if we're all considering that the "better" hook...why not have one on the front and one on the tail? smile.gif

TimS

Regardless of color (looks cool) the red treble is a bait holder - it could be a good mod for the belly hook - John B and I think alike on this. These funky trebs were originally intended for live bait fishing.

Whenever I see a tail treb - I think Bluefish, and then I think of how this mod'd treb would reside in bluefish' gullet. cwm13.gifconfused.gifmad.gif

Would it be a PITA to extract?headscratch.gif

Could be a blessing?cwm40.gif

Yet to be seen on a lure.

G-Master : good luck and report on your results.smile.gif

That red treble is not bait holder, though I suspect it could be used as one. It was designed to be the belly hook on a plug (see picture). Unless the plug has a belly swivel, the theory is only one hook point on the treble will ever be sunk into the fish. The other two get pushed up against the plug and never get hooked. That hook is designed to take advantage of that by putting a wider gap hook for the business side of the treble.

Now, I know personally I have disproved that theory numberous times with bass taking more than one hook on the front treble.

I'm on the fence about red in general. Tim is right, in that red loses it's color after only a foot or two under water. But consider that a baitfish bleeding more than two feet under water will look like it is bleeding gray or black blood, so the color loss is not a big deal. However, I don;t think a red hook would hurt, and may at times be an advantage by looking like blood loss.

I don't buy the red line disappearing under water sales pitches at all. The line will look gray or black, not disappear.

Those VMC hooks are usually sold under the name "Sure Set" in the USA. They're called "Scorpic" overseas. smile.gif

I use the 6x version as a front hook on some of my Bombers and it seems to hold onto fish a bit better. I haven't caught enough on them to really be sure about it's superiority, but from what I've experienced it does seem to be more likely to penetrate deep into a fishes mouth instead of just hooking on soft tissue like standard trebles.

By the looks of your hook placement it looks like the fish you are targeting is a "tail-biter". If so I'd consider dropping the braided wire and using some 80# flourocarbon for leader. Most likely all that plug sticking out of the fish's mouth will keep it's teeth off the leader.

You may still lose an occasional fish but increased hook-ups from using the flouro leader will more than make up for the occasional bite off. Especially if the fish tends to be leader shy like some mackerals.

If I had to use wire I'd go with single-strand, brown. Less visible than braided wire. And much shorter than your rig appears. 6" of wire would be plenty.

Excellent comments my friends.

The steel leader is for the toothy fishes like Wahoos & Mackerels, barracudas. It is impossible to know in what place of the lure (back or head) the attack will be. Using the mono nylon leader, we lost several lures in coastal fishing (trolling method).

Sierra.jpg

GMA