Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Sportman Shows

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

What makes a good sportmans show in your opinion??

What do you look for ??

Is it a family thing or just your self??

I used to like them 1) to look for great deals and 2) pick up some nice information. But it seems like fewer and fewer shows are offering either.

There are rarely deals...and that's especially true if you figure in the cost of admittance. The last show I went to (Marlboro fly show), I picked up some items that were moderately cheaper (most were not though), but the amount I saved was not equal to what I paid to get in.

As far as finding these shows informative, most of the information given at these shows seem to be geared towards the beginner or weekend warrior. Usually, if there is anyone there who can offer truly 'sage' advise, there is already a crowd of people picking that person's brain...To be fair though, I learn a new fly tying tip from Jack Gartside during this last Marboro show...so not all was lost...But I wouldn't say that was worth my time and money going there.

The best show I ever went to was the Atlantic City Boat show at the old Armory. For the true sailor, there were many different brands and sizes of boats to crawl around, all of the best gear manufacturers were there. Not the dealers, the manufacturers were there. You could get very hands on and learn from the guys who sells to the West Marines of this world (home of some of the nices0 but most uninformed people on the planet).

So good fishing/ hunting show would have"

#1 all the major manufactures

#2 lots of stuff to try and buy at good prices.

#3 no miracle cloths, peanuts, mops, financial advisors, etc.

#4 content-rich seminars

Having some good Italian food, and a strip club within walking distance.cwm12.gif

So I guess you'll be hitting the RISAA show in Providence biggrin.gif

So I guess you'll be hitting the RISAA show in Providence biggrin.gif

.....Oh yea....

Isn't there one of those places on Chalkstone Ave?confused.gif

I plead ignorance on the strip club situation angel.gif But I have heard some talk about a place called the Foxy Lady here and there wink.gif

But Federal Hill and great Italian eats is right up the road from the Civic Center-or whatever they call the arena these days.

It's funny I run a charterboat, I did a show in Syracuse...trying to get some interest in Cod and Haddock fishing and as an exhibitor the hardest part was having enough people show up....now when I go to a show I do the same thing look for cheap lures or duck calls...but its just not the same as when I was a kid....used to be the jerky guy but now it's t shirt companies and miracle spill people...I won't sign up for another show...but just so you all know the Worcester show is this weekend...