Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AaronB

Rod reccomedation

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Howdy all!

This will be my first season fishing from a SOT Kayak. I am well outfitted for freshwater fishing for bass, trout, pike, etc., but my striper gear is sadly lacking. I will only get a few opportunities each year to fish for stripers from my yak in the Hudson River (I live up in Albany) and Jamaica Bay. I will also get a few opportunities to do some surfcasting at the Jersey shore and on Nantucket. Money is an issue, so I am looking for one rod/spinning reel that may possibly serve both striper purposes. Here are some questions. I would appreciate any advice you folks may have:

1. Length? 7-8 ft seems short for the surf but l don't think I want anything longer for the yak;

2. Action?

3. Line test - lure wieght?

4. I am looking to spend under $200, preferablly under $150 on the combo. Does anyone use the Cabela's salt striker which would seem to fall in this price range?

Thanks.

-Aaron

Aron you should have posted this in the Kayak forum as you will get more responses.You can get away with a 7'in the surf if its sturdy enough.8' would be fine.One thing I do know is that in a yak your confined to your movement so you want a rod thats long enough to get arround the ends of the yak when fighting a fish.As far as the Cabela's Saltstriker I dont like buying store brand reels(rods OK) because somewhere down the line you may need parts and are they going to have them,if not you just wasted your money.Anyway welcome to the site,a wealth of info here.