bigkyle

What color lens for sunglasses

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I am buying a pair of sunglasses(either costa del mar or oakleys). My question is about lens. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that grey lenses are good for surf fishing. Is this true. Can anyone recommend which color lenses are best for surf fishing/daily use?

just got a pair of the Costa's. Harpoon in green cr 580 glass, AWESOME, very light. The lenses are a copper color. They actually brighten the view, yet there is 0 stress on your eyes. I cant wait to stalk the flats with these bad boys.

I own every good brand possible and the amber lenses are by far the best. They make things look a little more vibrant and are great about blocking the brightness of the sun. Ocean waves, Costas, Maui Jim, Revo's, Ray Ban, Oakley, you name it, I have them. I have gotten to the point to where I wont go outside without sunglasses. I had a friend that I fish with get two cancer growths on his eyes from not wearing his glasses. He had one on the eyelid and one on the actual eye.... OUCH...

I always use amber.

Same here...Although I know there are different color lenses for different lighting situations, in my opinion, if you're stuck to just owning one pair (Lord knows I can't afford multiple pairs of Costa Delmars), then Amber is the best one.

I use Ocean Waves and have the copper lens with the Offshore Green mirror coating. I use these in bright light and offshore and I have a pair of the amber like colored one (I think they call it violet though) with a violet mirror coating for low light and inshore/stream/flats fishing.

Very nice glass on these things.

Grey giives you the most neutral colored view, but it doesn't do much to enhance contrast.

Actually with the costas the green mirror is amber tint. The blue mirror is grey tint.

For extremely bright conditions grey or blue mirror.

For higher contrast amber or green mirror.

IMO the amber/green is better all around since so much fishing is early/late day &/or cloudy/hazy.

But if I did a lot of offshore boat stuff I'd probably have the grey/blue too.

I have the same tri-focal prescriptions in both amber and grey. The gray blocks more light but I can see birds and fish better with the amber. I now use the gray for driving and the amber for fishing. Opinions do vary.