Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VTbassmaniac

Squidder or Jigmaster?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Abu 6500, or Penn 525 Mag if you like nonlevel wind. Plugging with a Squidder is like driving to work on your lawn tractor, you can do it, but there are better tools. By the way, I sometimes plug with a Squidder. But I like to do things the hard way.headscratch.gif

FYI the Jigmaster has a 4.0:1 gear ratio and the Jigmaster HS has a 5:1. the squiddah is 3.3:1 so the Squddah wins the winch prize and the Jigmaster gets fastest retrieve of the two. I'm playing with a 501 narrow spool to see how that will do magged with the alumnum spool... but that's only because I have obsessive compulsive disorder and I was not allowed to have any toys as a child.tongue.gif But, neither one would be a great plugging reel... except maybe the Squidder when used with needlefish...SLOWER I SAID.. NO... EVEN SLOWERscreamin-meanie.gif

we used the 140 squiders to chunk nice reels for chunks I had a old black one on a harnellbiggrin.gif it got stolen 15 years ago, I got a 11.5 penn slammer rod-conv when they were new, had a red squider on that onecwm27.gif that was before braidcwm27.gif

I have both. I haven't used the 500 in years. Haven't been boat fishing in yearsbiggrin.gif . I use the squidders for chunking. As well as my 155's. But I don't chunk much anymore. I will this summer though. My son is seven , and I want to do some overnighters on the beach with him. That'll be a BLAST.

For pluggin', my friend, I use a variety of 6500's, I'll even use a 7000 for those big surfsters.smile.gif

So it sounds like the squidder is a live bait reel and the jigmaster is a boat reel. Thanks for the info. I read a couple of striper books this fall and both guys said they used squidders. Thats why I bought one. I already have a red Abu 6500.

got the jigmaster as a livebait reel, RIRH is right you don't have to use it from a boat, its bigger than the squiders, but off the breachways/rocks they'd be great to liveline shad, beach too. most people used the squiders. now with braided line, no one really need a reel that big anymore...maybe big game..sharking/ fishing deep water

Check when those books were written, Notice that the authors also suggest mono, micron, and glass rods. If the author is still alive, find him and see if he still uses the 140.

But don't feel you've made a mistake either, for chunking up here, the Squidder is still among the best, and there is something about the history and feel of them that is very satisfying. I comfortably use Abus and now a Penn 525Mag, but, there is always a 140 in my glovebox, cuz you never know.wink.gif

.....bulletproof backup reelbiggrin.gif