Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Waiting for the Cops!

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I just got done giving a report to the police

after waiting over 2 hours for them to come. This is after my wife called and I ran after the creeps who broke into my truck while it was parked in front of the house. I found one of my toolboxes on the driveway. Papers from the glovebox and console were all over the cab. The first thing I checked was that my 4wd and camp hero permit were still there. They were, wheew! No tackle is in the truck yet either. Thats another big sigh. But a two hour wait. I'd hate to think if these guys were armed, and I had to wait for a cop as they tried to bust down the door or something. Man does this stink. Thanks for the listen and lock up your stuff.

Shagfrown.gif

Sorry to hear about what happen to you.

To bad you couldn't catch the guy and take a rod a shove it up his ..................

In front of your house in the driveway ,huh?

I But a two hour wait. I'd hate to think if these guys were armed, and I had to wait for a cop as they tried to bust down the door or something. Man does this stink. Thanks for the listen and lock up your stuff.

Shagfrown.gif

I moved my family back here from Washington state three years ago...we lived in a rural area and if you had a break-in or property stolen the sheriff would no longer send deputies out. You were supposed to WRITE to his office giving whatever information was available & if they somehow recovered any of your stuff they'd notify you...how's that for timely law enforcement?

------------------

Jerry Vovcsko

East Bridgewater

The police usually show up after what ever is going to happen-rarely are they there in time to prevent things. Thats why I take care of my own families security. Just a fact of life these days.

Shag, look at it this way, even if they were caught, they'd have been back on the streets that night anyway. The cops saved you a trip down to the police station and they saved you a day in court and most of all, they saved you from having to see how the "system" handles people that break and steal your stuff. I once had the displeasure of sitting in court while the two guys that broke into my truck got a very light slap on the wrist and were free to do it again immediately. Good thing you didn't hurt them or one didn't fall while you were chasing them, then you'd have the big problem of law suits....those guys have rights you know.

So sad...did I wake up on the extra cynical side of the bed today or what?!?! wink.gif

TimS

Shag,

Sorry to hear about your truck. Had the same thing happen to my car in a movie theater parking lot. couldn't catch them either. I didn't even bother to call the police, even if I had a description (it was dark)what good would it do. Be on the look out for two males in dark clothing. Yeah in a suburban/urban area. Good Luck. In defense of the police. If you called them after the fact when the crime in progress was over then it's a routine call for service. They may have also been busy that night too. Two hours does seem like a long time though. Just a thought...

Mike W.

Shag,

Consider getting yourself a car alarm. You can get one for under $100 with a simple one wire hook up. As soon as thet start tampering with your car, the siren should start blaring hopefully scaring them off and alerting you to whats going on if you're near by. And if they see the red blinking dash mounted light that comes with the alarm, they may not bother your car at all and move on to the next one.

Shag, sorry to hear about this experience. I'm not familiar with the town you list as your home town. Regardless the cops should have given you a reason for the long delay. Personally I've worked in rural areas where on some days it was only myself and two other Troopers covering 5 rural municipalities along with 15 miles of I 295. Needless to say we were stretched thin. This is true in alot of local depts. also. In heavy crime areas a call like yours would be a low priority. My guess is that the officers in your area were tied up on higher priority jobs. Like I said at the beginning though, they should have said something to you. On the flip side, you should have inquired about the long response time.

If the Suffolk County Police do catch the perps, they should at least make them walk back to your house naked to return the stolen itemscwm24.gif

Well, along with the criticism police get, I'm going to pass along a "well-done" to my local police, the Nassau County PD. On Tuesday night, as I drove up the street, I saw my wife, very distraught, standing in the street in front of the house with the cordless phone in hand. Seems my 8 year old son had ignored many and repeated instructions to call us if he went inside one of his friend's houses. In fact, the other 8 year old who lives across the street from us, who he was with, forgot the very same lessons, and his mother was as equally upset. I'm happy to say, the County Police EMT unit was there within 5 minutes of the call, informing us that there was another sector car actually on the lookout on the surrounding streets. In the interim, Little Ditch materialized and all was well. But I'm still grateful and appreciative for the fast and concerned response.

Shag, sorry to hear about you truck. Two weeks ago my car was stolen and this week my wife totaled the other one ( she was fine). All I can say, at least you don't have to take a bus to work. Like Jerry, In San Francisco, cops don't even come. You have to go down to the station and report it, but they do have a 94% recovery rate (not that they catch the guys but rather they find it illeagally parked and you have to pay the towing fee. There's salt on your wounds! ) We did get our car back,,,or I should say what was left of it. Professionally stripped, cut through the stearingwheel because of the club and disarmed the alarm. They cop said they probably just towed it and cut the wheel after that. By the way, the stolen items in the car, were covered by homeowners insurance. It was a bunch of little things but it added up to about $600 ( about two good rods) worth of stuff. So think about it the next time a rod is ever stolen out of the cab.

Jason

You'd think that you would get good response times considering the Suffolk PD has the highest paid police in the entire US. I know as an NYPD officer I would give up my first born to get hired in Suffolk[tried twice test was thrown out] and answer "routine" calls for service. My buddy works for SCPD and he made over 110k last year w/ O.T. With the taxes we pay in Suffolk to pay for our cops I wish they would at least show up. I've called them myself on occassion and its seems like they don't want to anything other than hang out at the local Volunteer Firehouse. Sorry for the rant but for the most part the majority of them are useless here in Suffolk.

[This message has been edited by FrankG (edited 04-26-2001).]

DJ - You're absolutely right. People are quick to knock the police when they do, or are perceived to have done, something wrong. Sometimes they deserve it, sometimes they don't. It the same thing for all of us trying to do our jobs, with the exception that it rarely makes the from page of the Post when we screw up. Public servants are held to a higher standard than civilians, which they should be.

However, for a tax paying citizen to have to wait 2 hours to file a report is absolutely unacceptable by anyones standards, regardless of who or what is to blame. I can confidentely say that it was not the fault of the officers on the beat who eventually responded. They go when they are told to do so.

When you consider the $$$ amount that the "Police Tax" represents to a Suffolk County homeowner, they should get better than a 2 hour response time. It's happened to me in Suffolk when my car was stolen from the LIRR train station. I ended up taking a cab to the 2nd precinct.

BTW - My father is retired NYPD, and I have a cousin who is a NYPD Captain on Staten Island, so I know both sides of the story.

[This message has been edited by Wayne Tj (edited 04-26-2001).]

Hey Guys,

This wasn't meant for one second to be a rag on the SCPD. I live about a quarter of a mile off the street. I usually don't lock my truck at night as we are so far from traffic. Both vehicles will be locked now as will the windows, doors and garage. Its that trust thing or invasion of my private space that really has me ticked. I just never thought it would happen here. As far as the Suffolk County perp having to walk naked when returning my stuff biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifLOL that would be ok, but I don't think Heather Locklear had anything to do with my truck being vandalized. I've got buddies on both forces NYPD, SCPD, Firearms and Tobacco, and DEA. There is no way I would want their job. Of course my friend Bobby Rochetta's job I could have handled. I just could never figure out how the live eels and clam chum made it on his official rescue equiptment list. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

Honestly from what I hear the County screwed up big time in figuring the lost revenue on sales tax to clothing, along with that nice new contract for the PD and the higher ups are cutting the personel way back. The guy who finally got here didn't know the area and stopped a drunk driver on the way. I just didn't need to lose all that sleep from something that wasn't fishing related. Thanks for the support guys and I'm just glad it was only the truck and not the family.

TL and Peace

Shag

Being one myself, I'm not anti-cop, But can't they do more to possibly deter crime. The only cops I see in my area are either hanging out inside the firehouse or doing traffic stops on kids cruising Rte 231 here in Deer Park. Come on, for 80k plus base pay I expect a little more from my public servants.