Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jersey Joe

How far do you drive

Rate this topic

110 posts in this topic

If you live within minutes of the beach you may wish to bypass this thread.

I am curious as to how far you are willing to drive to go fishing. I admit that I would like to fish more than I do but I just can"™t seem to manage the time. My ride is 75 minutes of fairly local and traffic filled roads. Before you ask, a) the better half just doesn"™t want to move and b) I need to be near transportation into the city. I would like to know how far you are willing to drive (and how often) to get to the beach. Please don"™t interpret my question as whining. I would appreciate knowing what the rest of you tolerate and how often.

1/2 hour to 40 minutes probably 100 or so times a year (used to be a lot more)

Takes bout hour and half /45 for me to hit capemay depending on the wawa stops.. But fish where ever have the De river up the street which is great for stripers early spring.. And at the right time of year with the right techniques you can pull double digit catty's out of the river.. I make it down the shore bout hmmmm.... 60 times a year between the 8th st jetty outta avalon and head boats..

Some guys over here drive over 700 miles 4 or 5 times a year to fish our West Coast beaches.You have to take everything with you.Camping gear,tackle,water,fuel.No shops for 200 miles.The best beaches are on the Yalata Aboriginal land which has a zero tolerance policy on alcohol,so you can't sit on the beach on the edge of a blistering desert and have a cold beer.Don't fish there myself. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

56.8 miles from my driveway to the 2nd Street ramp in North Wildwood. Travel time can be from around 1 hour to 90 minutes depending on how many Pennsy drivers there are doing 35 mph on Rt. 347 and 47.

35 mins to Suff Cty Park and another 35 mins to Moriches Inlet W/S on the beach and Burma Rd.1 hour to the inlet E/S.To Mont.is 1hr.20 mins.Its all worth it.

When I lived in Iowa, I drove anywhere from 7 miles (Mississippi River) to 80 miles (Sabula) to go fishing.

While at my boss' house, it is a much shorter trip, only 70 or so feet to the ocean. biggrin.gif

I can walk to the beach faster than i can drive there (across the street). I still drive to other places to go fishing though(i probably do 50-75% of my fishing across the street). The farthest is probably to State College, PA, for trout fishing. 6 hours. More routinely i'll drive one or two towns away, 20 minutes or so. In season i go anywhere from 4-6 nights a week i'd say if i've got the bug(which comes and goes). If i don't have the bug i only fish if i see fish breaking when i'm going out or coming back.

well i live in newark nj i take the train sometimes to belmar or to pointpleasent it can be a hour or two ride down but i dont let stop mecwm12.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

for me its about 45-50 to old saybrook, an hour to niantic, hour and 45 to Charleston, RI, and about 4 hours to the cape. And Im willing to drive this when I go fishing! The Cape I'll only do a few times a year.

for me its about 45-50 to old saybrook, an hour to niantic, hour and 45 to Charleston, RI, and about 4 hours to the cape. And Im willing to drive this when I go fishing! The Cape I'll only do a few times a year.

What Lure washer said, only 5-9 minutes/miles less headscratch.gif