Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kings over Queens

Is it the people, or the politics?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Can we really blame politicians for what they do? When you boil it down, they are just navigating a system that we created, that we support and that we elect them into.

I mean, really....who among us wouldn't want to have a no show job? Celebrities get all sorts of money for nothing more than their endorsement of a product. What's the difference with a politician?

One could argue that the pols are just doing their jobs.

Have they ever been as responsive to the whims of their constiuencies as they are now? Idiot voters = idiot pols.

Can we really blame politicians for what they do? When you boil it down, they are just navigating a system that we created, that we support and that we elect them into.

Thank God! Another Libertarian is sprouting!

What puts Libertarian policians above everyone else? Peeps is peeps

Nothing. It isn't about the people. As you say peeps is peeps. There are all kinds.

We propose a system of governing that allows nearly FAR LESS government interference in individuals' private lives.

Every government program is corruption, because it"™s organized on the basis of who has the most political influence.

Mike Badnarick

KQ, read this quick article. If it interests you, bookmark the blog, you will enjoy it.

Here:

http://libertypoints.******.com/20...-power-to.html

What puts Libertarian policians above everyone else? Peeps is peeps.

Not sure about the "above" part, but TRUE Libertarians, if and when elected, have the utmost desire to remove "the power to abuse"............once the power to abuse is legally removed, it doesn't much matter who gets elected........

the crux of libertarian philopshy is that the power rests with the people. Not with the governement.

And people are succeptable to all sorts of illicit behavior.

Claiming that libertarians aren't, by virture of their politics, isn't plausable, IMO.

Peeps is peeps.

(crinkling of foil being shaped into a protective hat can be heard in the background)

And people are succeptable to all sorts of illicit behavior.

Claiming that libertarians, by virture of their politics, isn't plausable, IMO.

Peeps is peeps.

(crinkling of foil being shaped into a protective hat can be heard in the background)

I agree with you.....libertarian philosphy isnt a free for all. there are checks and balances of course. I think many have thihs idea that its do as yo please, and thats not really the case. While you do what you wish and not what the governement tells you to, there are social responsiblites that come along with it also. NOt to mention being taken to task by your fellow citizens for transgressions against them. The idea is to do what you want (not the governement) but also to not infirnge upon your neighbors rights. When you infirnge then you will be taken to task for it.

I mean, really....who among us wouldn't want to have a no show job? Celebrities get all sorts of money for nothing more than their endorsement of a product. What's the difference with a politician?

Pols are chosen by their constituents to "represent" them for a specific period of time

Pols are supposed to "represent us" ... celebrities are supposed to "entertain us"

Though I have to say Carnac the Magnificent Corzine leans for too close to the "entertain us" category ... about as offensively as Michael Richards!

This is a joke right?

I honestly have difficulty believing that anyone could blame the founding documents (the system) for the immoral, self-serving and sometimes outright corruption.

As though somehow "the system" causes people loose all sense of common decency and creates people like Duke Cunningham or William Jefferson.

Puleeeeez.

No, I suggest people of weak moral fiber are attracted to opportunities where they are more likely to achieve success in their dirty dealings.

How else can you explain the latter mentioned politicians or their next of kin, the religious fundamentalist. Was Ted Haggerty similarly corrupted by the church (another "system")

It's about responsibility.

And if we cannot trust ourselves or one another to make sound moral decisions, then the founding fathers were wrong about human nature and the possibility of a self-governing populus.

So is the logic here; since celebrities are known to be materialistic and inclined to self-serving behavior then it follows that "everyone" would want "money for nothing"?

Here's a shocker...

some people take pride in doing a good job and are actually motivated INTRINSICALLY to continually work to improve their performance.

This stands very much in contrast to the above mentioned motivations.

As to the "philosophy" of libertarianism...

.....libertarian philosphy isnt a free for all. there are checks and balances of course.

I sense a contradiction here?

From who or where does this authority for "check and balances" originate?

Seems a moral compass would be necessary?

And since we have established (snark) that everyone wants "money for nothing" why would any political party be spared from people inherent moral corruption?

2 + 2 = 5 ?

While you do what you wish and not what the governement tells you to, there are social responsiblites that come along with it also.

Yeah, we already have this...social responsibility...but it seems to be ummm... lacking.

The idea is to do what you want (not the governement) but also to not infirnge upon your neighbors rights. When you infirnge then you will be taken to task for it.

Is cigarette smoke an infringement on my right to clean air?

Is mercury or PCBs in my striped bass an infringement on my right to a healthy life?

Is GMO and terminator genes an infringement on my right to natural and healthy food? Not to mention the ecological disaster that these terminator genes are wreaking.

Like I said, we already have social responsibility built into our "system".

But it's not working so good.

Why? Who is living up to their social responsibility?

Not the politicians as suggested in the opening post!

And a last word on liberarianism.

This is a party that is primarily focused on money.

The argument for less government, and by extension less taxes, is not about liberty but is about $$$.

Libertarians try to frame the issue by creating the image of government as bad and oppressive and their "philosophy" as the remedy.

Government = bad less Government = good

If libertarians actually believe in social responsibility then how does that square with our current economic situation?

Libs. will claim the economy is great, look at GDP or Wall st.

But then fail to point out that personal savings is at an all time low due in part to rising health and fuel costs?

Or the fact that on average, Americans spent more money this past year than they were actually paid?

So where is the social responsibility when Exxon-Mobile makes billions while the number of Americans in poverty continues to rise?

Or how hospitals and pharmacutical companies essentially ransome off cures and remedies to those Americans in most need.

It's hypocracy writ large.

All that money is flowing from somewhere to somewhere?

So where is the social responsibility when Exxon-Mobile makes billions while the number of Americans in poverty continues to rise?

Here we go again.

How much profit, in terms of dollars and in terms of margin, would be okay with you for a corporation to make?