Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srfrat

making a mold for belly & tail weights

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi srfrat,

I just did that a couple of days ago using wood. I took a couple of 1x1's that would be easy to clamp together with metal squeeze clamps. Then I drilled 4 - 1/4" holes and 4 - 3/8" holes along the seam with the two pieces clamped together.

Then I proceeded to make 6-8 pours, with the clamped pair of pieces resting on another flat board and the clamps not touching the second board so that there would be no gap between the second board and the pair of first boards. Undoing the clamps after each pour and tapping the pieces cause the pours to fall out. Trimming the pieces can be done with dikes.

To put the pieces in the lure I drill a 3/8" hole for the 1/4" diameter pieces. Then I take a hammer and tap the 1/4" piece until it's nearly 3/8" in diameter and will fit in the hole snugly. It's really neat how readily lead will deform to do that. The same thing works for the larger size by drilling a 1/2" hole for the 3/8" slugs...

Any ideasheadscratch.gif Some of you guys come up wit some good ideas.

Will a bondo mold work.What do you guys do.Thanxs in advance

A bondo mold for weights. L4.jpg

L5.jpg

L2.jpg

Blank Do It mold. Mill out the sizes you need.

Jigman

I just located a place on an existing Do-It mold and drilled a 5/32" cavity at the mold devide then used a 1/16" drill thru at the bottom to sit the stainless wire.

Take a block of aluminum about 2'' thick,bye about 4'' high and 6'' long.Lay it on its edge and drill as many holes as will fit.The drill bit you use will be the same for the belly hole.Cut long ways on a band saw down the middle of the holes.Use a vise gripe to clamp together when you pour.If you can find the aluminum its pretty easy to do.Icut the finished lead rod with a hacksaw and epoxy it in.Hope this helps.

For belly weights, we took an aluminum plate about 1/2 inch and drilled the holes 3/8 or 1/4, whatever they are. Then we clamp a flap/piece/strip of aluminum underneath the holes and fill to the top, actually just short. Remove the strip and pop them out.

I do them out of maple, I have plenty of scrap and they last ten pours or so. Just clamp two pieces together and drill in the seam. Might be a ten minute job, takes longer to change the bit in the drill press then to drill them.

1 hour in the garage with cold feet and scrap metal this is what i came up with

Well Tool, looks like you live up to yer moniker. How do you cast so the weight has a wire hole? Nice work, an hour very well spent.