Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
humdinga

wetsuit question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Depends most on the fit. I used to use a 7mill oneil in the winter with temps down to 32 degrees in NH. Now I can wear a good fitting 5/4 and make it through. The new rubbers stretch more and fit better .

I agree that fit is most important. I spent many a dive below 100' in the Fla. Keys. When you hang on a decompression line for any lenth of time you'll love the wormth of a good fitting suit. Also when fishing in a wet suit take some worm water with you. After an hour or so in the water change the water in your suit. It feels sooo good.

Have you considered a freedive wetsuit such as a Picasso? You can generally use a much thinner and more comfortable suit...I get away with a 3mm in the summer around the islands (Vinyard/Elizabeths) and am sometimes too hot in it...the 5mms I can use right into winter and when I'm in ice cold stuff the 7mms keep me plenty toasty...the difference in the freedive suits is that they are much closer fitting and don't allow nearly the exchange of water that regular wetsuits do...I tank and freedive...I'll never go back to a regular suit...Good luck!!

I use the Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm farmer john suit in the northeast. It is the perfect suit for the spring and fall, but in the summer I don't use the farmer john bottems, just a waist high bottom from an old suit. Nothing I've tried on beats the Henderson Hyperstrech in comfort!!

I have been selling wetsuits since 1974. More important than rubber thickness is the grade of rubber and quality of the seams. A 3mm suit made of superstretch titanium high grade rubber with sealed glued seams is way warmer than a 7mm suit with lousy qulity seams. Stick with the surf brands. Like oneil,ripcurl,quiksilver. You pay a little more than a bargain suit but over the years you will understand why. To answer your original question, no If the seam quality and rubber is identical you wont notice the difference in 1/2 mm. Also understand that if you need a suit that thick you also need boots and gloves. Dont get boots with zippers. Zippers on wetsuit boots is like having your living room window open in january. Always buy boots and gloves that are airtight. The way you test them is to hold them tight to your mouth and inflate like a balloon. Any air leakage out the seams is unaceptable.