A thread about thread...

Rate this topic

M. saxatilis

Up to this point in my fly tying career I have had a rather limited number of thread sizes, types and colors. Now however as I begin to branch out to different patterns I am beginning to experiment with thread types/sizes.

What I am looking for is a reference of current thread styles / types / sizes and some of the pratcical applications for these types.cwm15.gif

Now, like everything else in this craft the answer will invariably boil down to "tyers preference" for thread selection in given situation. However, I am looking for a little more than that.

Currently I use mostly 6/0 Uni thread in a variety of colors and fine & ultra fine mono for others. So far so good...

Life is too precious to fish ugly flies.

6/0 for salt flies is often too thin ; i go w 3/0 or 210denier. some think the flat wax is most universal. i read a really good piece on threads and will try to get it to u when i find it.HappyWave.gif my current interest is in the clear mono thread- is there anything special about this kind; any concerns?

Still chasin' tail

tomcod - nothing in particular, I have decided to take on tying Hollow's and Hollow hybrid fleyes as my next set of patterns to learn and I know that you wouldn't want to use mono with this pattern. I got me thinking about the variety of threads I use and I realize that it wasnt much.

I have never experimented with waxed threads really, but I like what Twizzler mentioned about it's property of keeping materials in place. I'll have to give it a try over the next few days and see what happens.

Which is larger diameter thread 6/0 or 3/0? I feel I should know this...

I generally use flat waxed nylon or mono for general saltwater. I sometimes drop down to 6/0 uni for small bonefish flies. For freshwater dries and emergers I'll use 8/0 uni. Sometimes I use danville 6/0, especially if I want to split the thread for dubbing.

Best regards,
Roger

If you are really interested in learning about tying threads then google Chris Helm thread He has several videos out on spinning deer hair and tying. In his catalog he devotes a few pages to describing and comparing threads. He also sells about 40 different makes/styles of thread. I've found most shops carry just a few sizes/brands. Is 50 yds of Gel Spun really worth $3.00 - $5.00. Try it for spinning hair and then decide. You don't need 40 kinds of thread but the right thread for the type of fly you tie makes a major difference. When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail.

Well - I just got an email from the makers of GX2 and it looks like they are not going to be making this anymore. It sounds like it me be only made for large suppliers. I talked to a few tiers and they also heard the same. So, if you use it, stock up on it, or find another brand. I think UTC has a GSP thread that should work.

Brad

Atlantic Saltwater Fly Rodders - Bayshore Saltwater Fly Rodders - South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers
BuzFly - Got Gooey Body or Foil? Share what YOU HAVE DONE, not what you have been told.

Well - I just got an email from the makers of GX2 and it looks like they are not going to be making this anymore. It sounds like it me be only made for large suppliers. I talked to a few tiers and they also heard the same. So, if you use it, stock up on it, or find another brand. I think UTC has a GSP thread that should work.

Brad

say- can u tie w a light/thin POWER PRO type line instead of KEVLAR? cwm40.gif never heard anyone talk about thisconfused.gif and once again, what's wrong w mono on hollowflyes???headscratch.gif

Still chasin' tail

No mono for hollows... I based this solely on the properties of mono, and what I have read about the Hollow reverse tie technique and it didn't seem like a match.

Here's my logic: Mono has a larger diameter than thread and does not readily flatten down when tied. It maintains it's diameter and when wrapped upon itself is more likely to roll than thread will. This seems like it would be problematic when building wraps up ahead of the pushed back BT. When applying thread pressure and wrapping up on the pushed back BT, it seems to me that you want the thread to keep in place and not roll.

This of course is all conjecture asI have never sat down at the vice to tie one. I could be way off the mark on this one. Perhaps after I become more proficient with the technique I could make the switch to mono.

Tying is believing in this case though...