Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nutzo99

Bowling

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anyone here bowl? I have gone maybe once a year in the last 6 years...and spent alot of time aftr school when i was lil at the bowling alley...was never more than a "im bored...lets go bowling?" kind of guy...but i have gone twice in the last month and man...i can feel it starting to give me an itch...I want to bowl more than I do..I really enjoy bowling...its competitive and gets a good laugh...And if you do bowl...is there a rule that you have to spin it to play? like in a league?...Im a straight shooter...once i get my control and arm memorized to throw straight I tend to never leave a open frame or anything left...but i throw straight..no spin...and I throw her so hard she dont roll..just slides into the pins causing a disaster..Im really looking forward to getting in a league or bowling alot more than I do now..any thing i should think of or do?

not very good at it but i like to bowl

i got my arse kicked by a well-known NY area kookie fishing sharpie who happens to post on this board ... talk about getting hustled.

"oh, i bowl a little bit."

guy proceeds to bowl a perfect game. cwm31.gif

I just watched a show on the making of bowling balls. I always thought the ball was made of the same material through & through. In fact, they have different shapes(an hour-glass, for instance) made from some polymer inside the ball. Depending upon the shape inside the ball, the ball will spin more or less. This advent in technology has also increased the number of perfect games in the last 50 years. They named a year in the 1950's where there were something like 230 recorded perfect games bowled in the coutry. In 2002, that number was over 26,000. Bowling a perfect game isn't what it used to be. That being said, I bowled a total of '5' when I was a kid and have hated bowling ever since. cwm27.gif

I used to bowl quite a bit before I moved up here to New England. However, since I moved up here, I found that ten pin lanes are hard to find...it's mostly that crappy candle pin stuff (I call it 'fake bowling'). From Framingham, MA, I either have to go to Lowell, Arlington/Cambridge line, or Shrewsbury/Worcester if I want to bowl ten pins (or as I now call it, 'big ball bowling'). Plus the cost to bowl seems to have sky rocketed. Eventually I lost interest...

torture. we'll have fun! she says. good night. they invented things like fishing and golf so we dont have to bowl icon14.gif

Anyone can roll a "ten pin" ball. The Candle Pin game is tough. Maybe that's why it's not so popular! If you can bowl candle pins "you can bowl"!!

torture. we'll have fun! she says. good night. they invented things like fishing and golf so we dont have to bowl icon14.gif

We're having a department 'team building' event at a D&B's that has bowling. We have 4 lanes reserved rolleyes.gif The saving grace is the open bar and the two pool tables we also have.

What's candle pin bowling?? headscratch.gif

It's a New England thing. The balls are a little bigger than a softball and weight about 2 lbs. The pins are more like little skinny sticks (or candle shaped). It's a horrible game...even though the pin set up is the same, you can hit 'the pocket' and might only knock 3 pins down. Also, since it's harder to knock all the pins down, you get three shots vs two in regular bowling...although if you only knock down all the pins on the last shot, it's not a 'mark' but rather just a score of 10 for that frame. Also, between the shots, they don't clear the knocked down pins from the lane and you can use them to knock other pins down...known as using wood (just so there's no confusion, the pins are cleared between everyone's turn)....but it sucks and looks like it was created for children.

I Think the reason im a lookinginto it with an itch..is...the serve beer...and u get to throw a big ball at pins..ans the fly all over the place...Slide up the lane and fly into tother lanes...great laughs..then you get drunk...and dizzy

Anyone can roll a "ten pin" ball. The Candle Pin game is tough. Maybe that's why it's not so popular! If you can bowl candle pins "you can bowl"!!

Nah....if it were harder but had a reasonable solution, I'd say you're correct. However, you can hit the same part of the pocket 5 times in a row and have 5 different results....to me, that transforms this style of bowling into a game of luck.

In ten pin, you either suck or you're good at it and there is a discernable difference in the average scores between those groups of bowlers. Speaking of scores, I'm estatic when I get a score of 100 in candle pin where as a score of 150 in ten pin would have me cursing.

In Candle pin, there is an entry level learning curve where you might average only 50 or 60...but once you get to the next (intermediate) level of consistantly getting 90's to maybe 100, there's not very much difference between those guys and the one's who are considered 'good' and get about 120 a game. Basically, a guy who consistantly scores 120 in candle pin bowling is a guy with similar skills as the guy who bowls 90-100, but doens't have a job and has extra time on his hand to 'hone' his skill.