The Tale of Two Tog Rigs

Rate this topic

TimS

I'm another on for the rig on the left. It was shown to me years ago as the "Belmar Pinhooker's" rig because you could bust off and be back in the water ASAP by just tying a dropper and a snell at the end of your line.

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

I can rerig quite quick with the rig on the right. Double line to make a loop and two overhand knots. That's like 4 seconds. Slip sinker on like 2 seconds to make sure it tight. Grab doubled line above sinker, bend to make a loop, slide it through dropper loop of snafu rig(made out of heavy#test mono that isn't going to fray anywhere as easily as rig on left) pull both hooks through doubled-line loop, tighten, take sinker and make overhand knot around the loop. 8 seconds All done in less than 20 seconds.

Probably takes more time to just get the single hook out of the package, box, etc.

Remarkably, alot of the time you'll just loose the sinker when hung up. If you're really hung up with the hooks, it either straightens out the hook(s)or brings up part of the snag or you loose it. If lost, another quick doubled line, grab the snafu, and you're on your way.

I've fished the rig on the left but never felt confident in it. When you're using 40-60# mono leader, having to keep cutting back and then retying the dropper and snell knots, it just wasn't efficient.

Granted, you do have to pretie the snafu rigs, but tie them pretty quickly as well.

Overall, the rig on the right has proven to be more effective in losing less rigs than the rig on the left or the dropper above the sinker loop rig.

Works for me and that's what matters. Use what works for you.

Team Goats

Rig on the right is missing a hook, no?

Rig on the left is not good for Soup crabs, unless you can snell 2 hooks on the same line.

Rig on the right has taken DH's of Blackfish up to 37#'s down in Virginia.

Rig on the right is about 60#'s too light.

Sinkers in both pictures are about to break the glass in your aquarium from rolling on the bottom.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

IWorks for me and that's what matters. Use what works for you.

Amen icon14.gif Only Billy wants to argue about why his is best...like arguing about who's super hero is better cwm27.gif Use what you like, use what you know, use what you are comfortable with smile.gif

Billy, I know how to tie the rig, I just don't know how to freehand sketch it freak.gif

And you are right, I wouldn't use the rig on the left for a whole soup crab -- couple that with the fact that we fish two entirely different areas most of the time - and with two entirely different goals - and entirely different rods. For you, I'm sure the double line rig is great, that's awesome...I've started dabbling a bit with the snafu rig and variations of it lately. I'll keep trying new things, different rigs, hooks, leaders, reels, rods...I enjoy that stuff smile.gif

And anytime someone starts out-toggin' me on a regular basis, I'll stop and take note as to what they are doing different than me and I'll see if I can learn anything from them. If I can find a bunch, I'm even gonna try the flat sinkers...just because...not that I've had problems with the bank sinkers like some of you guys theorize, but because it's something I haven't used much. Again, location has a lot to do with how important flat sinkers are -- you might need them in a screaming 17 fathoms current, but they ain't anywhere near as important south of Long Branch smile.gif

The day I stop experimenting with rigs, knots, lines and tackle is the day the joy goes outta toggin' redface.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Amen icon14.gif Only Billy wants to argue about why his is best...

I didn't start the thread on why the rig I like to use is better than the rig other people use. I also didn't start the thread and list the rig I don't use with all the wrong knots. lol.

Personally I want to see people using the wrong rig so I can win the pool.

And anyone who doesn't think Wonder Woman is the best superhero is gay.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."

I always wanted to be the Flash. And MikY, just because WW is not blonde, that doesn't make her gay. She's a S&M freak with that rope of hers.

I thought Captain Greg was Aquaman? I guess not because he'd have that rudder fixed be Sea Monkeys by now.

I have been using a rig similar to the one on the right with a snafu for the last 5 years or so. This season I haven't been getting many giant white crabs so I stopped using a snafu when the calicos stopped crawling and went to a single hook like Tim has on the right.

One day I was out on a friends boat and he was using rig on the left and I was using the rig on the right. After he got 8 bites in a row and I got none even fishing a foot away from him on both sides I switched to the left rig and started getting bites instantly. Now I usually rig one or two rods with left rig and one with right rig.

For fishing an area like 17 or a low lying rubble type wreck I prefer the left rig. For a high wreck with a lot of holes and drop offs I prefer the right rig. For a very sharp wreck I definetely prefer the right rig with the hook snelled with 80 or 100 pound test leader.

I didn't start the thread on why the rig I like to use is better than the rig other people use. I also didn't start the thread and list the rig I don't use with all the wrong knots. lol.

Billy, just so we're on the same page -- where in that post did I say anything about which one is better, much less which one I prefer. I said I don't understand the one on the right - my words are still there, you can go double check and get back to me on it, thanks HappyWave.gif

Also, which knots are wrong? cwm13.gif A spider hitch is a better way of making a long double line - the loop-to-loop part is where you attached the snelled hook -- and the overhand knot is what everyone else says they do with the sinker. So, while you are finding the part in this thread where I said the rig I use is better than the one you guys use, can you also please point out where I listed "all the wrong knots"? Thanks, you're always so helpful smile.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.