Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Handyman Club of America

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

....or something of that sort.........

Got one of their promo's in the mail the other day....it included my "free gifts" (yeah, big deal, a plastic drill gauge, some tool box labels, and a small pad of paper...rolleyes.gif )....

The deal is, if ya join, ya get 3 other free gifts (which I'm sure will also be junk....a multi-tool similar to a Leatherman tool, a damaged screw extractor kit, and some other crap that I forget what it is).....send no money now, we'll bill ya.....if you are not satisfied, just write "cancel" on the invoice, and we will leave you alone. And if you cancel anytime in the first year, you get a full refund (yeah right....rolleyes.gif )

Dues are $1 month, and supposedly they send you newsletters, access to their website, some other stuff, and you get to "Test and keep at no cost" a variety of tools, both power and hand tools.........

So, anybody do this?

Thinking of mailing it back just to get their free intro crappy "gifts", and see what else they include, and then cancelling when I get the invoice.........

What are you, some type of masochist?

if you are not satisfied, just write "cancel" on the invoice, and we will leave you alone.

cwm31.gif

No. It seems like every day more and more people are trying to get my money. "Just a dollar" here and a dollar there drives me nuts, between a spending addicted wife, mortgage, two young kids, bills I already have, NJ trying to tax me to extinction, vehicles on the verge of complete breakdown, I need to start a club and start collecting some donations. redface.gif

What are you, some type of masochist?

cwm31.gif

Aw, what's the worst they can do if I write cancel on the invoice, send me more junk mail asking why I cancelled? (No, they don't ask for a Credit Card number.....I ain't THAT stoopid).......

Besides, Jeff, didn't ya ever hear of the guy that heated his home the entire winter by getting on every junk mail list he could? He would roll the junk mail into logs and burn them in his woodstove.......wink.gif

Besides, Jeff, didn't ya ever hear of the guy that heated his home the entire winter by getting on every junk mail list he could? He would roll the junk mail into logs and burn them in his woodstove.......wink.gif

Now, I like that idea. cwm12.gif I wonder what his flue looked like after that season? cwm40.gif

LOL...probably not good, but think of it this way....a chimney sweep only costs about $200.....that's one tank of oil (actually, these days, less than that) that might last ya a month or so.....

And on second thought, it may not have been that bad.....I don't think paper ash and smoke condenses into creosote like wood ash and smoke does.......

Yeah, and for just pennies a day you could sponsor a boobie.

Actually Steve, I would steer clear.

Those "just write cancel deals" are usually a pia.

They send you stuff.

Claim they didn't get the cancellation.

Send more stuff.

Harass.

It ain't worth it - stuff's crap anyway.

heres the boob im sponsoring icon14.gif

when you sign up, the "we got a live one!" spam alert goes off. think ghostbusters when they got their first case. scams and spams come out of the woodwork. ask me how i know cwm13.gif

Yeah, I just threw it in my woodstove....wink.gif

Noticed the "and from time to time we will send you books and videos at special low prices for you to review" clause, and that sealed the deal....

I have however, in the past, taken free copies of magazines with the "just write cancel on your first invoice" option, and never once had a problem.....in fact, I usually end up getting 3-4 month's worth before they get the hint and stop sending them.....but then, what else can THEY send you other than their magazine........

Believe my father joined that program a few years back and got nothing of any value from them. Blamed a massive increase in junk mail on them but he had started sending a dollar in the mail to just about anyone who asked at that point (we had to start to watching Dad very closely around that time) Send me the money and I will forward a very low quality multi-tip screw driver set in it's own cheesy case (pretty sure it's still around) without selling your name to the entire planet.

Sounds like the M-O of a certain "fishing club". They'll start sending books on "approval" that you have to return if you don't want them. PIA.

I was thinking the same thing. They probably own both outfits.

LOL.....I know that, but I'm not "that way".....besides, they already have my name and addy, since I got the promo in the first place.....so if they wanna sell it, they already got the info. Probably got it from the seed catalog companies.....they all share that stuff.....I get seed catalogs from companies that I never once placed an order with.....it just takes one, and your done....

But junk mail don't bother me.......other than the obvious waste of paper and trees that it is.........

Believe my father joined that program a few years back and got nothing of any value from them. Blamed a massive increase in junk mail on them but he had started sending a dollar in the mail to just about anyone who asked at that point (we had to start to watching Dad very closely around that time)

LOL.....I know that, but I'm not "that way".....

Ewww.....redface.gif.....just thought about this, and Jim, I certainly meant no disrespect to your dad with my post...just didn't come out the way I intended....redface.gif