Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FarmerJeff

Cutting Steel Roofing

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I am putting a new roof on my barn and I was fortunate to get ahold of some used steel roofing in excellent conditions. The existing screw holes are 2' OC as are my purlins, so I should be OK. What is the best way to cut this material for the valleys, etc? A sawzall works fine but can be ragged and makes the most godawful noise I have ever heard.

I'm thinking skilsaw with an abrasive blade? Any thoughts?

'Lectric snips icon14.gif

Or a whizzer if ya got air...

That's a pneumatic cut-off wheel right? Maybe I'll put a cut off disc in my angle grinder...that ought to do it. Thanks. Now I just gotta stay on that roof.cwm31.gifwink.gif

Go rent a "nibbler"

I've done over a million sq ft of metal roof - trust me it's the best tool you can get for cutting the stuff.

Also, be sure to install ice breaks. Sheets of ice sliding off a metal roof can act as guillotines, incredibly dangerous even on fairly low sloping roofs.

It's probably code anyway

Go rent a "nibbler"

I've done over a million sq ft of metal roof - trust me it's the best tool you can get for cutting the stuff.

Attachment 31128

Also, be sure to install ice breaks. Sheets of ice sliding off a metal roof can act as guillotines, incredibly dangerous even on fairly low sloping roofs.

Attachment 31131

What is this "code" you speak of? headscratch.gif Just kidding- good idea, never heard of such a thing. Think I could make my own by cutting some angle iron into 4" lengths and screwing it down?

Go rent a "nibbler"

Attachment 31128

Attachment 31131

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif You gotta have the right tool for the job. The nibbler will make your life easy.

nibbler is the way to go. When I put my building up last year it ripped right throught even on the humps for the corrugated parts.

Sudsy where do you get the ice breakers you speak of? I didnt have to put them on my building but I think they would be a good addition

Used a Bosch jigsaw when i did my wife's playhouse. How about a fine tooth blade in a skillsaw?? Call a supplier of metal roofs and see what they have. Up here they use angle iron in a vee shape in front of stove pipes & over doorways to plow snow & ice out of the way from taking the pipe with it. I think they call them "crickets" ?? Oh almost forgot, a GOOD pair of earplugs & safety glasses.

Go rent a "nibbler"

Attachment 31128

Attachment 31131

Ditto on the nibbelr,second best would be a circular saw they make some awsome blades now that will cut anything.

nibbler is the way to go. When I put my building up last year it ripped right throught even on the humps for the corrugated parts.

Sudsy where do you get the ice breakers you speak of? I didnt have to put them on my building but I think they would be a good addition

Any distributor should have em, you could possibly make your own but they're cheap so it's probably not worth the bother

Depending on the length of run you might need two sets, one at the bottom and one halfway up.

Be sure to caulk well and screw into purlins or the ice could rip em out leaving open leaking screw holes.

Bosch jigsaw works great for small cuts.

Sheet metal blade in a circular saw works MUCH better for straight cuts!

Abrasive blade in circular saw is OK.

Cutoff wheel in grinder - not so great

Nibbler works sweet, but not as fast as the saw, but MUCH less noisy! You really need earplugs for all except the nibbler.

-TH