Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Military firearms question

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

There's a lotta chatter in the online gunzine press about all the new/novel firearms getting tested out in Iraq and Afghanistan. (There seem to be as many machinists devising their own .50 rifles as there are guys making fly reels.) There was chatter about a 6.8 mm SPC, 6.5 mm Grendel, .416 Cheytac (?) ... Did any of this stuff pan out? I'm vaguely aware that the 6.8 can be had in civilian versions. Don't know if it makes any better a civilian hunting cartridge then a .270 or .30-06.

Did any of these cartridges, or the various odd rifles being allegedly field tested, go beyond the novelty stage?

mully, yes the .408 chey-tac and the 6.8 mm Remington Special Purpose Cartridge platforms have been out in the civvie market for a while. i've shot both, but haven't felt compelled to acquire either because they be expensive (although i have been tempted to acquire a an AR upper in 6.8 for grins and giggles). if you already have a .50 BMG why should you bother with a proprietary .408 (unless you live in Kommiefornia where the .50 BMG is outlawed)? ammo for the 6.8 is kinda tough to find where i am.

not long ago i conversed with a contractor (ex-marine) who is over there right now.

he told me all these toys that are getting tested are fine and dandy but their useage is not widespread.

he told me that when it comes to warfighting, amateurs discuss tactics, but generals plan for logistics.

he has basic and durable kit that he can easily re-supply for or scrounge for standard parts in theater. Namely, glock pistols and magazines (he prefers .45 ACP but has to settle for the punier 9mm due to supply issues), an M-16 and an AKMS (local ammo easy to find) in addition to other goodies.

he told me some of the guys over there use those motorola walkie-talkies you can get at Wal-Mart for close range unsecure comms! (care packages sent from home!).

the one piece of new gear that he raved about was the redesigned upper receiver (which contains the bolt, chamber, barrel, and gas system) and magazine for the M-16 platform called the HK 416. As it did so ably with Britain's standard Enfield rifle ( upck.gif ) Heckler & Koch completely revamped the upper receiver to make the M16 more reliable on full-auto fire and with less maintenance (and even no lubrication if need be!). No more "attack-of-the M-16 shorty-that-won't-work!"

No, you can't get an upper directly from HK. Yes, a civilian can get one here through backchannels (I was recently offered one for $5 grand, no thank you, I'll settle for a POF piston upper instead) for a stock AR15/M16 lower receiver (but you have to replace the buffer spring). HK mags are like $50. Typical HK.

More details here:

http://hkpro.com/hk416.htm

The gun-rags rave about a LOT of crap which they know little to nothing about. remember - EVERY weapon and EVERY round in use as a means of warfare has to have a legal review done by the respective service. The only ones getting to this point and introduced into warfare are ones that are specifically managed as a procurement program. the 6.8, the nuclear tipped BB, etc are all urban myths being pumped by the designers to try to create a market for their products. the .416, etc are NOT being used in combat and have not had the requisite legal reviews to be used in combat. Doesn't stop the manufacturer from claiming it and putting out "neat" pictures.

For example fishweewee is correct on the 416. It is a hybrid design between the H&K and the M-16. basically H&K took the gas system out and replaced it with a piston operated system. I am aware of only one unit using it now as their standard weapon.

one thing that is interesting about the small arms market ... manufacturers would be more willling to produce specialty items for the military IF THEY CAN BE MARKETED TO CIVILIANS (= more higher-margin $$$).

For example fishweewee is correct on the 416. It is a hybrid design between the H&K and the M-16. basically H&K took the gas system out and replaced it with a piston operated system. I am aware of only one unit using it now as their standard weapon.

I was thinking .416 nitro express... a great buffalo caliber.

I know COBB is making a .416 express rifle based on the BMG platform.

With a gas operated system and an obvious heavy frame/bbl it could tame the recoil.

the casull .454 is nice, but there is an ever bigger one called the Smith & Wesson .500 magnum, if you're looking to enhance your penis size. biggrin.gif

the casull .454 is nice, but there is an ever bigger one called the Smith & Wesson .500 magnum, if you're looking to enhance your penis size. biggrin.gif

Is that why cousin bought one???? headscratch.gif Go figure...he's out in Scottsdale!!

mully, you'd have more fun at a blackwater usa training course.

anyone game for some urban warfare or CQB training? beatin.gif

i can already feel my trigger finger bleeding and my knees-a-creaking. pig2.gif

yep .454, fat fingered the key and cant spell. Buddy has one in stainless, and I think its a Desert Eagle. Lots of power and kick, but it shoots nice patterns.

Am I correct that its a modified rifle round?