Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie M

NJ out of Compliance- What do you do?

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting hypothetical. NJ is found out of compliance in a few days and they decide to shut down NJ striped bass fishing. That means no targeting bass, not just no keeping them. So what do you do? Do you hang up your rods and reels untl they open the fishery back up? Do you travel north or south to fish? Do you fish for bass anyway? What do you do?

Charlie

Fish for bluefish, cow nose rays, fluke and weakfish. The stripers are now incidental bycatch.
Which you can't keep! icon25.gif

In Joisey you take a video of the striper fooling around with a hooker that you procured and send the tape to your sister, the bass' wife. Or you hire the bass to a no-show job. Or you stear a sizable contract to the bass' nephew. Or you put up bill boards all along state highways and sell the business to the bass for twice its worth. Or the bass gets a job at a lobby business run by the former fish commissioner. Or..........never mind, Joisey will always be fishy.

cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

So I have gathered. How many other states can take away fish from the commercial sector, give it to the Rec sector, but sell it as a conservational move? then fish out of compliance for months...

And all with a straight face

How many other states can take away fish from the commercial sector, give it to the Rec sector, but sell it as a conservational move then fish out of compliance for months...
Ummm....none? icon25.gifwink.gif

TimS

I think Tom Fote is feverishly working behind the scenes to stave off this potential disaster. Because if it happens, he will be blamed:

I sure hope Tom knows what he's doing wrt NJ in the long term:

Ristori: Slot striper likely to stay until fall

BY AL RISTORI

Star-Ledger Staff

While Amendment 6 to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Striped Bass Management Plan doesn't allow for the slot striper that has become so popular in New Jersey, ASMFC commissioner Tom Fote is confident the state will be able to put off the day of reckoning for quite awhile -- perhaps into the fall.

What goes around- comes around!

My only hint? The JCAA August Newsletter, is already a week late biggrin.gif

Now I know I shouldn't give that particular state such a hard time....I have lot's of friends from there (and I was once a resident too...)

So I'll be good biggrin.gif

Now I know I shouldn't give that particular state such a hard time....I have lot's of friends from there (and I was once a resident too...)

So I'll be good biggrin.gif

At the very least, you have a lot of friends from this state on SOL icon14.gifHappyWave.gif

I think Tom Fote is feverishly working behind the scenes to stave off this potential disaster. Because if it happens, he will be blamed:

I sure hope Tom knows what he's doing wrt NJ in the long term:

Ristori: Slot striper likely to stay until fall

BY AL RISTORI

Star-Ledger Staff

While Amendment 6 to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Striped Bass Management Plan doesn't allow for the slot striper that has become so popular in New Jersey, ASMFC commissioner Tom Fote is confident the state will be able to put off the day of reckoning for quite awhile -- perhaps into the fall.

What goes around- comes around!

My only hint? The JCAA August Newsletter, is already a week late biggrin.gif

Why is Tom Fote to blame? Is it because he is a rep to the ASMFC and made a public statement about the timing? I don't think anyone but the NJMFC is to blame since they were the ones who tried to rush this through and it backfired. It does pose an interesting question though. If the fishery is closed, who is to blame?

Charlie