Salt Water Washdown Q's?

Rate this topic

River Rat

The general opinion is Shurflo-okay, Jabsco-better, Groco-best.

The key is where you mount them. I mounted mine in the bilge and i have had a lot of problems with it. Mount it as high as you can and where it will stay dry. Make sure you shrink wrap the connections, the proper size wires, and proper fuses.

Jabsco seems to be the best bang for the buck, but if you can spring for the Groco people who have them love them. I think they require a lot more room to mount, too.

--Rich
"Miss Abigail"
1989 Mako 211 (& my daughter )

With the exception of a commercial grade pump, the best pump on the market is the the SHURflo Extreme Smart Sensor 5.7.

I swapped out a top of the line, one year old, Jabsco pump for the SHURflo and it was like night and day. The SHURflo actually has water pressure and can shoot a strong steady stream of water at least 23 feet. Be sure that you use a spray nozzle designed for wash down pumps.

One of the best upgrades I made to a new boat was to go with the SHURflo.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

Wayne, do you have a Marine version or an RV version? I don't see that pump offered for Marine use? How long have you had it? Where do you have it installed (is it exposed to elements at all?)

Looks like a good price for that level of flow (over 5 gpm and $168), I'm just wondering how it will hold up in the salt.

--Rich
"Miss Abigail"
1989 Mako 211 (& my daughter )

Wayne, do you have a Marine version or an RV version? I don't see that pump offered for Marine use? How long have you had it? Where do you have it installed (is it exposed to elements at all?)

Looks like a good price for that level of flow (over 5 gpm and $168), I'm just wondering how it will hold up in the salt.

I have the marine version, the part number is 5901-2212. I paid $179 at my local marine supply center (Tidewater in Northport, LI) two years ago.

West Marine has it for the rip-off price of $240 - so don't buy it from them.

I installed it myself. Simple job, because it was a replacement the plumbing was already there. I did have to buy different connectors that are clamped to the hoses and connect to the pump. Same with the electrical.

My unit is mounted under a stern seat hatch where I store my fenders. It doesn't get direct spray. After two seasons there is some rash, but no different from the Jabsco that it replaced. This spring I plan to paint the entire unit with Rust Bullet (the stuff's incredible) - just because I'm a perfectionist.

Anyone who's used my washdown and knows how feeble most are, always comment on how great my pump is. If you fish, this is the only pump for you.

I am half way through installing the jabsco kit that has the seperate baitweel pump with it that mounts on top of the seacock. One thing I learned in my research was how critical it is to have electrical connections that are 100% waterproof. There is great info on the kodiak baitwell site.

Kodiak claims that most pump failres when they rip the pumps apart are all do to electrical connections that were not waterproof. What happens is evry time the pump turns on it heats up the wire expelling what little air is in the wire. When the pump cools down it creates a vacum and sucks moisture through the sloppy electrical connection. Each time the pump is turned on the moisture goes further down the wire. Eventualy it reaches the pump and goodbye pump. They explain that pump wires should never be trimmed. If you trim the original wires you move that connection closer to the pump.

BARRELL

• 3 weeks later...