Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptHarry

Did you hear it?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Yep, that was the fat lady singing.

Ran out last night in the wintery mix of sleet and rain. Yar be Dar!!!! Even had to de-ice the decks. It was the kind of conditions that you don't question if the fun level has been reached. Fished it hard for a few hours. Saw a few schoolies here and there. Only got one decent fish, didn't even measure her, just a quick snapshot and back in the drink. She might have gone 30 inches. I think the fish gods took pitty on us by giving us that fish.

When the salt trucks are running up and down the bridge, it's a sign. Had a cold one, and we toasted what is probably the end to a great season. Air temp was 30, water surface temps ranged from 43-45. No regrets in going, it was slick calm and a beautiful night on the water despite the rugged weather conditions. Still might be a few more good nights if the conditions improve.

Later, Harry

sig1.gif

You're braver than me. And maybe more foolish! I think they'll be biting like crazy next week end when the heat wave arrives - daytime temps in the 40's.

Dave,

Not brave and definitely not foolish, (maybe a little crazy) but we weigh out any risks before we leave the ramp. If there had been any kind of wave action, we probably would not have gone. The sea state was as calm as it gets, and the rest of the weather just involved personal comfort. Besides, fair weather doesn't make good sailors.biggrin.gif

Honestly though, I would not recommend the actions we take to anyone that is not completely comfortable on the water at night, or knows how to deal with adverse situations on the water. Please, I hope no one takes that to sound snotty or uppity. I'm not saying you have to have mad boat skills, but just prepare and run it as if you were running offshore, because that is exactly what it is in reality. You can't get out and grab on to a bridge piling, nobody is gonna see you in trouble just because a bridge is there. Especially now that the meat fleet is gone and we are pretty much alone.

I hope for you they are back next week, but I do think it is unlikely to return to the bite it was. The bridges hold schoolies year round, so there will always be something to hunt for. They may just be a little slowwwwwww.

Here is a pic of last nights fish,

mj.jpg

Later, Harry

sig1.gif

Capt.,

I don't believe that anyone thinks you're uppity. You made some good points about the "lonely" aspect and potential dangers of being out there at night. My comments were directed more towards the personal comfort factor rather than the high seas factor.

Although I value you judgement, I plan to go anyway unless the forecast is downright snotty. Schoolies vs. moes? Hell, the way you've been hitting them a 30 pounder is a schoolie to you. You never know unless you go!

Dave