Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr pete

wood needle question

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I have some real nice oak laying around. Can I use that to make my first needle? Do I need to weight oak as much as cedar, I know it's a harder wood.

I also have pine up the ##s can I use that for some pencils? I like using my cedar, but I have this and it seems like a waste just to look at it.

Does it really matter if I make the same shape from pine, will I notice it swim any differentheadscratch.gif

Oak and pine/cedar will swim very differently, because of their different bouyancy. Even if you weight the pine heavily, it will swim differently because the weight is distributed more evenly in the denser oak. I'd think you could make needles and darters just fine out of oak (though how it turns I don't know). For swimmers, a more bouyant wood is usually better, A problem with oak, however, is that it is an open grained wood, that you have to fill to get a smooth finish, not that that the fish care if you don't. If you use oak for needles, you will only need to add a little lead, which is an advantage in a thin plug.