Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason413

Mystique color 2 color paint

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I had a question on two tone flip flop paint. I bought 3 different kits of Krylon mystique color 2 color paint awhile back at a craft store. It was on clearance for about $5 a kit. I used it before on a squid lure I made and it works great. I think it's the same stuff that LaPala used for his frog with the sweet ass. My question is this.

The kit has three steps. #1. Black primer #2 spray the paint in layers until you get the amount of paint effect you want. #3 spray on the clear coat.

Now they say the clear is to enhance the effect of color changing and to protect the paint from wear. I'm wondering if this clear is nothing more then what a finished epoxy coat is. After step three you can forget about adding anymore paint, wich is what I want to do. I want to brush on some other details into the lure. So basically has anyone ever used this before, and do I have to use the clear that they provide or can I get the same effect with an epoxy top coat after I paint on other paint detail. Thanks for any help.

Here is a pic of the squid. I made this just messing around. The tenticles are made out of felt so they flow while under water. There is a weedless treble hidin under those tenticles too. It swims great! It has a nice slow rise to it too, the only thing is the clear coat I used was out of a spray can. I gave it a try and it was horrible. After just a few minutes in the water I saw white water spots under the paint, so now she sits with my other lures. I've been thinking about making another with a little more detail.

Squid.jpg

Okay, I would go with the clear coat after you add any details that you want to the finished paint. The clear coat will protect the paint. Then scuff it up a little bit and then epoxy over it with any one of the many options out the- envirotex, devcon, etc.

I, as well as "young salt", used the same paint to customize a penn 704. It looks really good. If you ever want to be jealous of anything, then check out Young Salt's post about the 704.

I take that back. That is different paint, but exactly the same idea as what i used. The stuff that I used was Auto paint. Just curious- is application is that stuff recommended for- autos or just crafts.

It says it works on wood, glass, plastic and metal so it seems ok for most applications. Maybe more of a craft item. I just checked out the flip flop 704, very cool!

Neat squid Jason.

I use createx auto air paints for a similar effect. I don't use clear coat though. I just epoxy right over the paint. It holds up really well.

Digger

I need to learn more about paintredface.gif

QFT!!!

Me too... I have a couple assortment cases of Auto Air as well... Collecting dustredface.gif

Just to whet you appetites, I can get paints like these at RM50 (about 14US) per 100grams, goes along way with a/brush. They are labeled as 5 tones but usually u see about 3 tones more distinctively.

IllusionRange.jpg

(sorry for the slightly longish pic) The one I used for the frog is 3rd from right and a final misting of the right most one.

And for ur question Jason, they are just paints, if u add on transparent paint (candy colors) later they will still show thru under the color but that depends on how u mist them on.

drool.gifdrool.gifdrool.gif

the middle one has herring written all over it

who makes those LaPala?

found something by the same name made by "Rage" but they only sell it in litres for like $300, so I'm guessing you've either got some left over or you're getting it from somewhere else?

Thanks LaPala, I ended up spraying the 3rd coat of clear thin, just to use as glue, and put some glitter on the lure. It came out pretty good. I just need to epoxy it and put on the hardware now. I will post up a pic when done. cwm12.gif

hey Jason that squid is just sick love it man i will take 2 one for me and one for wizardude.....lol........ can someone tell me how expensive that pain is and where can it be found? i prefer to paint brush mine but any will do anyways great work.............

Al- You can find a paint that is very similar, if not the same thing in Walmart in the auto-body department. It's made by duplicolor and comes in a three can kit. I'm pretty sure that it is called Mirage.

Jason- Next time you want glitter in it, just take a little bit of very fine glitter and mix it into your epoxy finish. Whenever I do this, it comes out great.