Rogue Wave

Rate this topic

edubbs

I was up to my waist fishing in a sandy flat section the RI's upper Narrangansett Bay. A tankers, barges or freighters com an go all the time and on one occasion a large ship passed by and intead of creating waves, all the water around me dropped to about my ankles. I could see the water returning so I hightailed it to some higher ground.

im not real keen on all dem fancy learnings, but how is that possible?

a large ship would displace the water no?

get withthe program...if you are gonna act like a dick, don't get all butthurt when someone points it out

Seen a really odd wave a few years back. Relatively flat day north of SRI. Then here comes a 2-3' wave travelling north to south. No wind or boats to drive it. Passed under the boat, and continued as far as the eye could see to the south. No other waves in front or behind it.

The waves created by large ships passing by are indeed freaky. Same thing happened to me...wading out on the tip of Sandy Hook, here comes a goliath freighter, and the water starts receding all around me. I had been up to my waist, and it got down to ankle-deep. This is batty, and I get back up on dry beach. The water comes booking back in, and would have put me neck-deep at least. Every time one of those things comes near, I high-tail it outta there.

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

The only water a boat displaces is bow, port/star and prop water. Big, heavy boats make big heavy waves, but they cannot displace water from places they have not been.

What you might have experienced was a mini Tsunami, literally! Very small, localized quake. They happen.

I fished a badassed NE/hurricane a few years back, where one minute I was waist deep, the next minute I'm walkin E trying to get wet. The surge and ebb were insane.

I like EVERYONE, except for some people.

Many years back (mid 70's), 2 buddies and I are out on some jetty (can't remember which one in mid Jersey) in the fall plugging and it was dead calm like glass cause the moon light was really illuminating the area. We fished for a long time working our way out to the end as the tide was dropping. Out of no where, I see the wall coming toward Steve who was at the end. I yelled trying to warn him but it was too late. He was pummelled and thrown down between the barnacle encrusted boulders. There was no freighter in sight and no other waves after that one. Steve was in bad shape, legs scraped and bloody, body bruised. We called it a night.