Reel packing grease - ever try this one ?

Rate this topic

Sudsy

I have to strip out a couple of reels that I packed with Vaseline as hot weather + back of truck = melting vaseline and a big mess. (however I'll still use it in the cold weather)

Stopped at West Marine to pick up some blue marine grease, of course they had no idea what I was talking about - I have no idea how that place stays in business (you need a laugh - ask a fishing related question rolleyes.gif )

Found this stuff. Not cheap but very light yet sticky. Tested it by putting a dab on the parking lot asphalt and letting it sit there in the sun for 20 minutes - didn't melt. Supposedly, according to the package it doesn't stiffen in the cold but that's a test I haven't done yet. If I have time I'll pack one of the reels and stick it in the fridge tonight to see what happens.

CorrosionBlockGrease.jpg

Corrosion Block Grease is designed to provide maximum protection under severe conditions. Its formulation provides both high and low temperature performance, increasing the service life of critical components. Corrosion Block Grease strongly resists water wash out and provides superior protection against rust and corrosion. Corrosion Block Grease outperforms lithium and most synthetic greases and meets or exceeds requirements for NLGI Service Classification GC-LB (automotive wheel bearing and chassis lubricants), which is based on ASTM D4950 performance requirements.

Excellent extreme pressure (EP) properties

Excellent Thermal Stability

Outstanding oxidative stability

Non coductive / dielectric

Contains no heavy metals or environmentally objectional materials

Superior corrosion protection and salt water resistance

Outstanding low temperature mobility

Compatible with most grease types

Distinctive Aqua color

Protects heavily loaded equipment and extends bearing life

Resists running, bleeding and softening at high temperatures

Suitable for extended periods of operation at elevated temperatures, and sealed for life applications

Use in electrical applications that require grease

Workplace safe and environmentally friendly

Won't soften, breakdown, or wash out in wet applications

Suitable for use in centralized lubrication systems and low temperature environments

Easy conversion with no cross contamination concerns

Easy to identify, high visibility

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

I heard it is the same as Blue marine grease from the marine shops so I never tried, not that I'm an old pro at packing reels though.

Until recently when I started traveling to fish places where your reel gets dunked I never packed em. Just a good shot of the Daiwa blue grease on the gears was always good enough for Jersey beach and jetty fishing.

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes, see if it stiffens

i wanna try lucas oil additive but havent figured out a way to seel a penn z, not sure i wanna seel it though

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Hi Sudsy, How are you doing. Regarding packing your reel, Johnnie Kronich who services all my reels once told me to never pack the reel with too much grease. If packed too tightly the insides will not function properly. Johnnie uses Mobil Red Grease in all his reels & I can honestly say it works great. He puts some on a 1" brush and then brushes it on the Gear Parts. You should also open up the reel every so often and change the grease. See u soon.

V.

Suds,

I use the blue axel grease they put on trailers to back down ramps at boat launching sites. I fished in Jan with ice in the guides and its gets a little stiff after riding atop the jeep but loosens right up after a few cranks. As for its water proof qualities it was packed in my 706 that fateful night 2 years ago when I went for a swim in the bay. It was under water for a good 45mins to an hour. I change it every spring and Fall.

Hey Vito, if ya see this send me the pics from over the weekend. see ya soon. I hear your really puttin the pressure on Mike Lang re: your little side bet wink.gif

Been using the grease from the Surfcaster for about 5 seasons on my Penn reels. It is not blue in color but works great. It is advertised as water proof.

Marc

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.

Corrosion Block grease does not melt in tropical temps. A lot of us guys in Hawaii use it. It's kinda sticky but works well - a little goes a long way. I have no experience using it in cold weather (for obvious reasons). I know some guys that use Royal Purple grease (really expensive) in their reels.

Just pulled the reel from the coldest part of the fridge where it's been since early this afternoon. It's a bit tighter than the vaseline and 3 in 1 blend I use in winter but not even close to as tight as it would be with axel or blue grease.

Passes the test with flying colors.

Suds,

I use the blue axel grease they put on trailers to back down ramps at boat launching sites. I fished in Jan with ice in the guides and its gets a little stiff after riding atop the jeep but loosens right up after a few cranks. As for its water proof qualities it was packed in my 706 that fateful night 2 years ago when I went for a swim in the bay. It was under water for a good 45mins to an hour. I change it every spring and Fall.

Hey Vito, if ya see this send me the pics from over the weekend. see ya soon. I hear your really puttin the pressure on Mike Lang re: your little side bet wink.gif

Yep, he beat me THAT night. I now owe him a murphys' burger.

Our real bet is a 10 day stint in "M" in October, most bass over 20#. Same bet, a Murphys' burger.

I am back to my wetsuiting and plugging, the honest way biggrin.gif hey chunking last month did get me bass of 25,27,28.5, and a 34 1/4 lbs. but they don't count right wink.gif

See you guys soon icon14.gif .

Mike