Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal

Do you practice for winter driving

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Whenever I get a chance after a good snow storm I like to go to an empty parking lot at night and practice my skid recovery and other winter driving skills, anyone else do this? It's definitely saved me from getting in a few accidents over the years.

practice.... yea. I should remember that the next time the cops stop me from doing doughnuts in a empty parking lot. redface.gifwink.gif

I do it every year after the first snow....just to re-familiarize myself. I use the parking lot at the local village swimming pool...I went to HS with most of the guys working there so it's no problem. Took my daughter there the first winter she had her license...4 yrs ago...and she still thanks me to this day.

Yup, Skids, 360's, donuts, pulling on the E-brake. All in a parking lot where there are no cars of course.

It doesn't hurt to get out and see what is under the snow before you hone your skills. My favorite lot went thru some thaw and freeze cycles leaving a nice slick black ice surface. Fresh snow hid this from me and I gassed it as I pulled into the lot. I skidded all the way across lot and ended up in the woods even with special compound snow and ice tiresbiggrin.gif

It doesn't hurt to get out and see what is under the snow before you hone your skills.

Yep. me and a buddy of mine in college loaded up the cars and went out to a remote lot in a nearby town. My buddy had front wheel drive so he was skidding around backwards and ended up somehow straddling a telephone pole that they used to mark the end of the lot. cwm27.gif Good thing he had a small car and we had alot of hands to get the car off of it.

Snow and regular ice are easy...it's the black ice that'll get you. THAT is some wicked stuff.

No Joke! I once cracked a Camaro in half across a phone pole after finding some black ice.....

Years ago when I first started to drive, my father took me to an empty lot to practice on snow and ice. Still do it if I can find an emty lot today. Practice never hurts!

Parking lots are no fun with AWD. Before that I had a Pathfinder. Nothing could stop it in 4WD and I couldn't even get going in 2WD.

Growing up Dad would pull up the driveway toward the garage, blow a 180 and park next to the garage facing down the driveway. Never hit it and we kids loved it. Mom however, argue.gif

Another one of his favorite tricks was to see how far he could fishtail the car up the road during a good snow. Again the kids clapping.gif , Mom mad.gif

Thanks for the memories.....

*BUMP*

It's that time of year again...Anyone else going out for a little practice tonight? biggrin.gif

Today was my first time with a front wheel drive vehicle in the snow. So far I'm quite impressed. It's nice that when the wheels start to lose traction the car keeps going where you're pointing it, instead of spinning the back end around. icon14.gif

You guys are waiting too long to get your practice time in.

Autumn=wet leaves=practice.

My wife freaks the f out when I hit the e-brake without warning.