Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby

Anyone having problems with Hindus' leaving fruit and fabric on their beaches?

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

I ask this question because at the Jamaica Bay Bird Sanctuary and surrounding areas their is an influx of Hindu folk coming to the waters edge, praying, putting fruit(i,e, coconuts, papaya,banana,Mango)along with plastic bags and Hindu fabric depicting the God they are praying to. They have 365 Gods! I have asked, when appropriate, for them to please take plastics with them because it kills fish birds and gets caught around the props of boats. I sometimes get in heated discussions because they think I am putting their religion down, but I'm not. I have gone to the National Park Rangers and they say it is a very touchy situation because it falls on the right of expression act and the right to practice their religion! They say that the thing we, as Americans have to do is educate them.

They have 365 Gods!

I guess with all them gods, they must figure at least one of them will forgive them for throwin' all that crap on the beach.

I have worked with hindu folks throughout the world.... I must say that these people are the "gentlest" people I have ever met....

I am absolutely 100% sure that this can be worked out through "the Hindu clergy" They must have a temple dont they? Well that is where to go with this issue...

I think maybe it can be done by email.. why doesnt some one google some hindu houses of worship addreses up... lets write them a nice cool loving letter from human to human...

Explaining the situation and how they should feel free to practice their religion but in a way that it does not interefere with the natural flow of things..

Maybe smaller offerings... without the plastic bags... ( I'm sure God dosnt specify plastic bags) ..

I'm telling you the Hindu people are very gentle nice folks... why dosnt some of our members with some "tact for writing letters" take this opportunity to do things correctly "in the propper American way" through communication and good will many touchy topics such as this can be worked out hand in hand as a multi colored nation... That is actually Americas strength .. we are all different yet sharing this land together trying to live the American dream.... I am sure that if our hindu brothers are told in a good willed civil manner that their clergyman will educate their own people to do the right thing...

God bless America..

Bring the issue up with the Park authorities. Let them know where it's happening and what is exactly going on (photos help here).The Park authorities need to officially take care of the situation to keep all sides happy.

Bring the issue up with the Park authorities. Let them know where it's happening and what is exactly going on (photos help here).The Park authorities need to officially take care of the situation to keep all sides happy.

I spoke to 2 regional Park Ranger Superintendants yesterday and they told me the only way was to go to a gathering(temple)and educate the folks on the problems that can arise out of this. They use plastic bags to carry their fruits to the site. Not all of them bring plastic!

Personally I'd pick up the plastic bags and take home some fresh fruit. You can save a fortune rather than going to the supermarket. redface.gif

That is actually Americas strength .. we are all different yet sharing this land together trying to live the American dream.... I am sure that if our hindu brothers are told in a good willed civil manner that their clergyman will educate their own people to do the right thing...

God bless America..

icon14.gif I'm with you John, a peaceful, respectful solution - no one gets insulted, no one gets angry and the problem still gets resolved.

TimS

Are you sure they are Hindus? There is a similar practice in Santoria, which is a Brazilian religion, where they light candles on the beach and leave fruit. The plastic bags have nothing to do with the leavings, other than making it easier to carry them to the beach. Just make sure you have the right religion, before you start trying to "educate" them.

There used to be a problem around here when you were walking in the park you would frequently stumble upon goat and chicken heads along with coconuts and mangoes. I believe it is Santeria.

clapping.gif Well thought out and well said, AJ! Awesome John would get my vote to head up the UN!

icon14.gif Sounds to me like you're the ideal candidate to take on this project, John!

All the best to you,

big jim (AKA JimiDaBeachBumm)

cool.gif "Life's a beach!"

That is actually Americas strength .. we are all different yet sharing this land together trying to live the American dream.... I am sure that if our hindu brothers are told in a good willed civil manner that their clergyman will educate their own people to do the right thing...

God bless America..

icon14.gif I'm with you John, a peaceful, respectful solution - no one gets insulted, no one gets angry and the problem still gets resolved.

I have extended myself to some of them with the utmost respect in mind and everytime they tell me that I am predjudiced towards their religion! And I am really not! Thick headed. They feel that that is part of living in America! Not when your littering is it!

TimS

Howbout a couple of Park Rangers waiting for the next gathering with a couple big fat ticket books.

A peaceful politically correct solution is a very nice story, but who in the world does not already understand that it isn't right to litter, especially IN BULK? If you saw just one person from ANY ethnicity or religeous group on the beach

littering, would you find out who their elders or spiritual leaders were and write them a letter?, or would you be more inclined to say "Hey Moron, Why don't you take that **** and throw it in your own ****** yard instead of being a filthy ****** pig?". A few stiff fines from Park Rangers oughta help curb that behavior.