Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

cod jiggin

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Anyone know if you can use the new braided lines for baitfishing for cod?

I know the braid is great for jiggin', but I think I remember someone telling me not to fish bait with em????

Much thanks,

Tightlines.....Stroth

Two things first check with the head boat as some don't allow braids. Second cod tend to pull off easily some times and braid and a cod stick don't give any streatch. I am sure the mono streatch has cuught or kept on the a goodly percentage of my cod. The ones that you put on the deck and give a tug on the line and out pops the hook

Stroth,

I am a part time charter capt. for a cod and tuna boats. Last time out to Stellwagen Bank every senator had 50-80lb. braid on it.

The spots we hit are anywhere from 275-400 feet. At that depth line stretch is a big deal when drift fishing.

If your new to deep sea and are use to using a non levelwind reel, bring a piece of inner tube to cover your thumb. Make sure it does not fit tight enough to stop circulation.

I use mostly CT style reels when surfcasting. I have some nice cuts in my left thumb from instinctively trying to wind line on the senators with a fish on.

sean c

Braid was made for cod fishin' wink.gif It's thinner, less line drag from current or drifting boat. No stretch - you can feel a cod brush yer bait with a single whisker at 350ft. In 200ft you can feel them just eyeballin' yer bait wink.gif

Any cod boat that wouldn't allow braid would be quickly starved outta business smile.gif

TimS

Googan - cod only have ONE whisker tongue.gif

HappyWave.gif

Googan? Why I oughta.... wink.gif

BTW, exactly where was it I said they had more than one whisker? cwm13.gifHappyWave.gif

And one more thing...what, was God in a hurry that day? Couldn't give the cod a pair of whiskers? Why not 3? cwm13.gif Not many fish only have one whisker...but then again, I guess God was really busy that day...he sure made a lotta cod smile.gif

TimS

ok looks like several votes for the braid and one against

i've got a rod a little over 7 feet with a daiwa sealine 50 h

i've used the braid for jiggin' and it is just awesome

do you think a nice slow steady retrieve would alleviate the problem of pulling hooks

If you want to try out one of my reels loaded with 65 lb PP you are welcome to dude. I have some PP laying around if you want to put it over your current line as well. Shoot me a pm.

Tim, I just got off the phone with the

Hell Cat11 in Grotten and they DO NOT allow braid on the boat There stock and trade in the winter is Cod. It has been this way on the HC11 for several years. Knew I remembered it from some where, been a 2 years since i ran on the HC11. They said it was to dangerous for the mates to deal with. Please don't shoot me i'm just the messanger here. By the way I agree with braid for jigging since they hook up real solid. I think with bait its up to the angler. I like cod to suck on the bait for a while so if I don't know he is there its fine with me.

Stroth:

Braid is all I use for codfishing. It has even less issues for baitfishing. For Party Boat Angling you MUST use 30 ft of mono leader. Most tangles come near your terminal gear so that 30 ft is crucial to keep expensive braid from getting involved in tangles. When you tangle with someone it's alot easier to untangle the mono. The mono leader will also provide needed stretch so you don't pull hooks.

I use 65# PowerPro on a 4/0 Special Senator. When you stick a good fish just put the rod on the rail and reel slow and steady. You move these fish more with the reel than the rod, that's why I recomend a 4/0 or equivalent unless you are fishing shoalwater of less than 120 ft. If you pump these fish you will pull hooks and loose them. Cod turn into giant propellers when you move em' from the deep and pumping allows them to spin off.

sounds like i will have to call the boats I plan on using before I book

right now I'm planning on some dacron backing with 65 pound powerpro

i was gonna go with 80 pound powerpro, but I guess that's overkill

great idea on the long mono leader...

how heavy 80 pounds