Kings over Queens

Is it a parents obligation to pay for a kids college?

Rate this topic

276 posts in this topic

I think its a parents obligation to do all they can for their kids. If they can pay for colelge then they should. If they cant they should do whatever they can to ensure they get the chance to go to college.

I got a pat on the back and a "good luck son", so I might be biased!

That being said, I've been saving for college since my daughter was conceivedcwm12.gif But I don't think I owe it to her, if she messes up the first year she's on her own.

I pay for me to party, not my kid!wink.gif

I think it depends on whether they can afford it and how much of a strain it puts on them. One would like to think that a young person would recognize when their parents really dont have it, and would step up to the plate, but in many cases, that's a lot to ask from a 17 or 18 year old. My dad took a second job just so I could further my education and asked only that I finish school in return. Since that was all that was required of me, it wasn't hard. I think parents who can afford it, should.

I think parents who can afford it, should.

See...that's the thing, and JohnM mentioned it above as well.

What does "being able to afford it" have to do with anything? Say the parents are mid 50's...mortgage paid off, retirement money in bank, ready to pull the plug after working and saving a lifetime for their retirement?

They can afford it. All they have to do is mortgage their house...continue working and postpone their retirement plans? Right?

I think not.

An obligation, no. But I'll do whatever I can to help my son to get further in this world, providing he lives up to his end of the bargain. Actually, since he's gotten straight A's since kindergarten, I'm hoping for the academic scholarship so I can spend the college fund on fishing stuff. biggrin.gif

F' 'em- if you pay their way, what motivation do they have to get a scholarship or try their dammest to get the best financial aid?

I don't think it should be a legal obligation. However, as a parent, I would think that parents in general would want to do as much as they can to help their children develope. There are means now available to help make college more affordable (if you enter these programs early enough).

As an aside, my wife and I attended a financial seminar featuring speakers/advisors from T Rowe and they said that the most common sense thing to do is to send your children to a lesser expensive state school for their bachelors, then have them seek their post grad schooling from higher respected school.

KOq its all in what you want to do in the end. If your more interested in your own life than helping your kids that is your choice. I intend to give my kids every advantage I can. There are limits to what any parent can do, the kids have to do the work but ill give them the chance.

What does "being able to afford it" have to do with anything? Say the parents are mid 50's...mortgage paid off, retirement money in bank, ready to pull the plug after working and saving a lifetime for their retirement?

They can afford it. All they have to do is mortgage their house...continue working and postpone their retirement plans? Right?

I think not.

you cant be serious. you get the squid cwm13.gif

I think not.

I think that qualifies for "can't afford it".

My wife and I are saving our asses off, but it will never be enough. By the time my kids get there, it will 75k a year. We're doing everything we can, by saving money and being very involved in their schooling. But I'm not willing to mortgage my retirement and work until I drop dead. I've discussed this with my oldest and he's with the program.

My wife had a very good point the other night. She said if the kids get into really good schools and pick a major that actually has paying jobs, they can pay off some student loans. Our job is to make sure they get into good schools. Honor society and Eagle Scouts, here we come. cool.gif

I don't think it should be a legal obligation. However, as a parent, I would think that parents in general would want to do as much as they can to help their children develope. There are means now available to help make college more affordable (if you enter these programs early enough).

As an aside, my wife and I attended a financial seminar featuring speakers/advisors from T Rowe and they said that the most common sense thing to do is to send your children to a lesser expensive state school for their bachelors, then have them seek their post grad schooling from higher respected school.

You can take that a step farther by taking freshman classes at a community college (just make sure the state school accepts them first). Lots of ways to help out. I don't have kids, so I don't think I'm qualified to say if it should be an "obligation". I paid for my BS and Masters myself, but my Dad offered to help a few times and I'm very grateful for that. He didn't have much, but was excited about my education as no one in our family had ever attended college before, and I know he would have done all he could if I had asked.

My oldest is in his 2nd semester of Sophmore year. Year one we paid entirely. Year 2 he decided to go ROTC and they pay for tution and books. His choice entirely and his comment was to take the difference and put it aside for the twins education.

I will break my back and bank account to send my other two to school as well, providing they do their part with grades.

Am I obligated? Yes, because it was our choice to have the children. So, its my obligation to make sure they are educated, properly balanced and happy adults.

My parents did the same for us and upon their old age, we took care of them until the died. They were cared for by their kids, because we were cared for by our parents.

IMHO, we harvest the crop that we seed and plant in life. heart.gif

Are Father's obligated to pay for their daughter's weddings? LOL

Are mother's obligated to go to Hedonism with Father's after the last child moves out of the house?

SO many questions!