Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alaskansteve

Any of you old guys remember this boat??

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

That looks like the Drifter out of Belford from back in the 60's and 70's

Name of the boat was Diane Karen & his name was Joe Pierce, he fished out of Pt Pleasant for lots of years, also worked on a dragger called the Leah (its still fishing out of the co-op i believe). The picture was taken off of Spring Lake. We tried our best to rid the ocean of bluefish but i guess we failed.

NOTE;Tim & the rest of you guys on SOL if these pictures offend any of you please let me know and i won't post any more of them.

8Ball your thinking of a similar looking boat, it was called the Ruth i believe, grey, white & dark green colors? The guy that owned that boat was Les Layton & he fished out of Belford. We all gillnetted in the area back in those days, great bunch of guys to work with, Joe always shared fish info with me. Cancer killed Joe back around '89 if i remember correctly.

Nirto here i am in the old days,i'm the guy on the right & at least i had hair back then

This was my boat the St. Patrick it was a 35 ft Henriques that i had custom built in '76, i miss that boat!!

It was a good day fishing, one small bunch of birds picking on some baitfish but there was a huge school of blues & weaks under that ball of bait. We ended up with like 8000 lbs of blues and 1500 lbs of weaks out of that set. Best part was that nobody was on those fish when i found them, it was in like 40ft of water off the Allenhurst jetty just north of 8th ave in Asbury. A friend of mine named Russ Ewing (another great guy) from Farmingdale took the pictures of us picking fish.

I had a slush box on the boat for the "money" fish, this is it with 1500 lbs of weakfish in it.

another shot of a good day, this was closer to 12,000 lbs

this was from the one and only year i went down to Cape May for the spring weakfish run, these fish averaged 10 lbs each and that bin held 5000 lbs. Sad part was as you pulled them out of the net the roe was just running out of them, a real shame & waste of the resourse, they should have stopped everybody from fishing on those fish until after they spawned. Guess that fishery is gone now. Thats my worthless crewman in the picture.

Eric,

There were quite a few people earning a living from those fish, like the boat rentals, marinas, launching ramps, bait & tackle shops ,party boats ,motels & restaurants catering to the sport fishermen. Oh i forgot about all the sport frown.gif fishermen that were also down there catching those fish and SELLING them.You must know a lot about that fishery if you think 2 guys were the only ones catching those fish. I bet you were just a little guy in the sandbox when that fishery was happening. Obviously your one of the guys that doesn't like my pictures?

I'm so glad all those big breeder weaks were around then to be killed so 2 guys could earn a living. icon14.gif

Wasn't just the commercials. Sports were also loading the boat with the big roe laden weaks. Thought there was no end to the fishery.

I hope today folks realize better.redface.gif

Keep posting the pictures. I was a young un back then. My dad purchased one of Les Taylor's Old Salty ( IV I believe) We were in Belmar through the 60's Then sometime later he Bought the Dam Bot from up near Leonardo's. Turned it into a set lineing boat for Cod. (When there was some around). Those old pictures bring back memories. And I caught my first weak back in the bay in the early 60's. Hey you think my father and I were the 2 guys responsible for the Cod fishery to be destroyed. LOL.

I never accused two guys of the downfall of the weakfish. I was simply talking about the fish in the boat.

I was never a big sandbox kinda kid, though we did have one. I was usually across the street from my house fishing for snappers.

12,000 pounds in a single pull. That's what, about the catch of about 1,200 rec anglers keeping one nice fish for the table, assuming every fish was 10 pounds? Seems like a seesaw with a fat guy on one end.

Not saying that 2 guys destroyed this fishery (nor was Eric) of course but an uncoordinated effort by your industry sure did. Photos like that would be impossible these days in NJ.

Yeah I was in a sand box back, well I maybe had graduated to Star Wars by then, while gillnettering and overfishing was destroying a resource I didn't even get chance to enjoy. What little piece that's left is still being decimated by gillnetters setting at the jetty tips and at the mouth of inlets all summer long.

Guess you could say I'm one of the guys that doesn't care for the photos, although the Alaska photos are nice. HappyWave.gif You've got every right to post them, just as I've got a right to voice an opinion about them.cwm8.gif

12,000 pounds in a single pull. That's what, about the catch of about 1,200 rec anglers keeping one nice fish for the table, assuming every fish was 10 pounds? Seems like a seesaw with a fat guy on one end.

Not saying that 2 guys destroyed this fishery (nor was Eric) of course but an uncoordinated effort by your industry sure did. Photos like that would be impossible these days in NJ.

Yeah I was in a sand box back, well I maybe had graduated to Star Wars by then, while gillnettering and overfishing was destroying a resource I didn't even get chance to enjoy. What little piece that's left is still being decimated by gillnetters setting at the jetty tips and at the mouth of inlets all summer long.

Guess you could say I'm one of the guys that doesn't care for the photos, although the Alaska photos are nice. HappyWave.gif You've got every right to post them, just as I've got a right to voice an opinion about them.cwm8.gif

Bido,

I don't know the numbers but i bet that the sports down in Cape May caught & sold just as many fish as the handful of gillnetters fishing the bay. The real damage was done by the pair trawlers fishing outside the mouth of the bay. As for the gillnetters that are still fishing they are perfectly legal in setting at the jetty tips, in fact they can fish right up on the beach if they care to, its all legal. In my day i wouldn't set by a inlet because of too much boat traffic, the sports would run over my gear, get stuck and blame me for it, and of the gobs of grass usualy found around the inlets. I sometimes wish i still fished back there cause i sure would like to get some of you guys on the boat so you could see for yourselves how many fish we actualy caught vs how many were really there, it was a small number.

Back when i was a little sh*t bouncing around the jetty fronts i remember gillnetters going by and the older guys would always say the same thing that you guys say now, "get rid of those GD gillnetters" "they're cleaning the ocean out of fish" well the fish are still around, the gillnetters are still around, and you guys are still around so i guess its never going to end. I've been on both sides of the fence for a lot of years and i still can't figure out what the big deal is! but i'm a dumbass gillnetter biggrin.gif