Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kierran

FYI: last FERC public hearing on Broadwater tonight.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

For anyone that is interested, tonight is the last FERC public hearing on Broadwater Engergy's proposal for a floating liquified natural gas (LNG) industrial facility in Long Island Sound. The hearing is at 7pm at Branford High School.

Tight lines.

I'm fearful this dumb idea is going to sneak by with the behind doors deals being made. I've seen this kind of thing before. Think about 700ft cryogenic tankers going through the Race and Plum Gut. Can't for the first grounding. JPmad.gif

yeah, another reason why I wont vote for Rudy in the primary his list keeps adding up. From the website, it say the consumer would save about 300 bucks a year in energy, thats nice but not enough to get me to go along with this thing. The sound has come along way, this thing, if something went wrong could do alot of harm. Things that come to mind is the overall environment, fishing industry, tourism, property values,list goes on. The company is Shell(dutch owned) and some Candian energy group. They talk about how much they will pay in taxes, but I am sure the security bill will be footed by taxpayers. I dont like how close it is to hammo. Economic needs and benefits vs all the cons, it doesnt add up.

16304490.jpg

LNG tankers close major harbors when they arrive in a port. I don't buy the visual pollution argument, the plant will look no different than any large seagoing vessel in the sound IMO. What I am afraid of is once you open the door for one company, how many others will follow? There are already too many pipelines and cables littering the sound floor as it is. The electric company who dropped the cable through New Haven Harbor channel has still not met their legally contracted safe burial depth per the United States Government BUT they are still allowed to operate. One thing I know, if that thing ever blows it will be the biggest fireworks show the area has ever seen.

Dave - You nailed my biggest concern. Opening the sound up to commercial ventures.

Lets open a floating resort. Ridiculous.