Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlyingAce

Lobstering

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

This may not be the forum for this question but since I cant seem to find any info anywhere else I thought I would give it a shot. Being from Oregon I am used to throwing out some crab traps on my way to the fishing grounds and thought that getting some lobster would be a great treat. Unfortunately I have no idea where to start. I have seen some traps for sale but dont really know what time of year, bait, or locations for targeting them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.heart.gif

The first thing you need to do is contact the local Environmental Police or Division of Marine Fisheries.

One needs a license and a tag to place on any trap you plan to use.

Once you get the tags, Recreational 10 pots limit you will also need to have markers.

Bait most used can be any racks from fish, mackerel,pogies,and in some cases one can buy lobster bait at some shops during the summer.

Now if you want to go through that process and get set up, let us know where you plan to launch from and maybe provide some further help in the catching department

This is the Mass. Marine Fisheries Portal were you can print out your aplication for your 10 pot recreational permit. It also has the rules and regs. on it.

Once you get your permit try to locate pots. A lot of comm. lobstermen sell used traps that are in good shape. The best place to locate these pots is through thier web site. Mass Lobster fishermen. Then you have to get a measureing guage one with a 3 inch and a 5 inch size on it. As the 5 inch lobsters are off limits inshore. Any used fish carcus will work for bait.

http://www.mass.gov/portal/search?q=lobster+permit&btnG=Search&entqr=3&sid=ma ssgov2&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&ie =UTF-8&client=mgov&numgm=0&ud=1&pageID=mg2searchlanding &oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=mgov&site=EOEAxDFWELExDMFx

Here's a EZ way to get yer lobsters, pull up to a lobster boat with cash or beer or both in hand and make a deal to trade for some lobsters. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run for you. Lobstermen don't like sport fisherman fishing pots close to their gear (i never did) and if your lucky they will just tow your gear in a heap and let you move it away but some may just cut your bouys off, so you lose your gear and the money it took to get rigged up. Not trying to deter you just giving you the straight facts. Lobsterin' ain't like playing with a few dungie pots or rings! Believe me i lobstered for 25 years and know what happened to lots of sports pots.

Here's a EZ way to get yer lobsters, pull up to a lobster boat with cash or beer or both in hand and make a deal to trade for some lobsters. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run for you. Lobstermen don't like sport fisherman fishing pots close to their gear (i never did) and if your lucky they will just tow your gear in a heap and let you move it away but some may just cut your bouys off, so you lose your gear and the money it took to get rigged up. Not trying to deter you just giving you the straight facts. Lobsterin' ain't like playing with a few dungie pots or rings! Believe me i lobstered for 25 years and know what happened to lots of sports pots.

Just so you know. In Massachusetts I believe it is illegal for lobstermen to sell lobsters to anyone without a proper seafood dealers license. wink.gif

Just so you know. In Massachusetts I believe it is illegal for lobstermen to sell lobsters to anyone without a proper seafood dealers license. wink.gif

haha good one Capper...

that's like saying someone one i might know never "traded" any shellfish for some frosty adult beverages because the law states you shouldn't do that wink.gif

pots along the canal piled up in a pile because the new lobstering people set there traps in areas that have been occupied by the same folks for years.

It is like an infringment of the space , but to my knowledge no laws govern this practice and one can put them any place they want. Of course at there own peril.

If they didn't move after a warning they got to meet the victorinox twins.

All taken care of cwm27.gif

Attachment 30012

Spoken like a true gillnetter biggrin.gif . Sorry couldnt resist. I know that you are just protecting your people. Thanks for the good advice all. Maybe I will throw out my pots and sit on them for a couple hours. Guess the only way to learn is to try.

Ace,

If your catching lobsters after setting pots for a few hours your on the motherlode of lobsters, i would lift my gear on 2 nights fishing time and that was considered fast, usualy they let them fish 3-5 nights before they haul them. There is a outfit in new bedford that makes some nice small pots, its called ketchum trap and i believe they have a website check them out for lobstering gear. Oh Yeah don't set to close to me biggrin.gifwink.gif Good Luck and catch a bunch !