Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew9745

XRA 1321 Question

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I am considering having a custom built on this blank for medium plugging, just want some opinions on this stick, thats all. Will be putting a Nautil 7500 on it. Thanksbiggrin.gif

It's a excellent stick I use mine for everything from 3 hook bombers to 3 oz bottles..My stick was wrapped by Zim an I have the fugi system guides on it..It's nice an lite..

It's a excellent stick I use mine for everything from 3 hook bombers to 3 oz bottles..My stick was wrapped by Zim an I have the fugi system guides on it..It's nice an lite..

Thanks, thats what I'll be using it for as well. I figured it cant hurt to get a little feedback before dumping 4 bills on one..redface.gif

Thanks, thats what I'll be using it for as well. I figured it cant hurt to get a little feedback before dumping 4 bills on one..redface.gif

YIKES 400$...do some searching around. I bought a new 1322 1pc custom for less than 300$.

Hey Drew , I have a great builder in your back yard who will build a super rod for quite a bit less. PM me if you want. I have had 5 rods made and they are excellent. John Pbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Will-do John, thanks. The $400 was an estimate I got, with Fuji SiC's (MNSG Concept), cork tape, diamond wrap and labor. The blank alone is $250.

If you are getting good work done then 400 clams is a good price.. There is a lot of work that goes into building a rod.. If a guy puts 20 hours into building a rod for you and he charges you 400 bucks which includes 200 for the blank and I'm sure another 50-100 easily for the components then he is making at best 7.50 per hour of labor which is just about minimum wage..

This is an 11 footer so everything increases.. But wrap is longer, grip tape is longer, more guides, especially if you are going with low-riders or a similar concept.. that's a lot more wraps and a lot more time spent working on the rod..

I don't know much about rod-building but I do know that it takes time and 400 bucks for an Arra 1321 custom built is a good price...

my poor, pathetic .02 LOL

ErikT

$400 for a 1321 Arra is a good price in some places, and about $100 more than the going rate in others. The 1321 blank runs cheaper than the 1322, 1205 and 126 1MH.

Builders in NJ and on LI charge more than builders around the Cape.

I just checked with a few different builders, and "around" $400 seems to be the norm. Blank is $250 and change, because it is 1 piece and costs alot to deliver to the builder, guides come to $62, reel seat is another $10, we're up to $322, so the remaining $78 towards thread, epoxy, cork tape and labor doesnt sound too bad.

I'll post some pics when I pick this baby up.

Do builders build for profit or just to make rods? $58 profit seems miniscule for the work he will have to do.. And that's if he throws in the epoxy, thread and corktape! Does he already have the blank or did you order it?

most builders build to make a profit and one thing to remember is that the price on most componants is a quated amount that normally you would pay if you were to purchase it outright. The builders cost is not the figure he quates to you , so he is still making his markup on each item that includes the rod blank as well when he makes up the rod.

Most builders have a set figure and as Ditch stated above depending on where you purchase the rod the price will vary. If a rod has a higher demand for its use, in some cases the customer will pay more in the end.

That is why one should always shop around for the best buy, but also know when what you are buying is also a quality package as well.

$68 dollars in labor for a plain jane surf rod equates to about $35 per hour for labor not including the money they make on components. In ET's example, his Arra did take 20 hours to build, so an equivalant price for his rod would be a minimum of $1000 (if a hack builder can make $35, a Top builder should make more, no?) Add in that ET's Arra has Gold Low Riders not available in the USA, and was one of the first guys using Low Riders...the wrap on his is an XL special...the rod should have a book value of $1500 on it. lol.

ET, that 1143F for snagging is what people are charging $70 in labor for...not even that nice, lol.

$400 or so for that rod is a fair price..

Someone brings up an interesting thought though.. Do builders build for profit. interesting question.. as Erik said, there is tons of work that goes into building a rod. not just the cost. Everything from spending time with someone, making sure the reel seat is at the right spot, colors are right, dont forget trying to order a blank, getting to the post office or spending time online looking for deals to keep the price down. etc all of that goes into building.. now most of us do it because we like what we do and its also a means to get some extra cash and put it into your hobby. I for one having been building rods at that "level" for about 4 years now.. I have about $400 cash in my pocket after all that time.. Everything I make goes back into buying more supplies, more blanks, better wrappers, my own fishing rods, 6-7 Van Staals, etc etc..

so, we dont really do it for the money.. its more about doing it so our wives dont know how much we spend on our hobby..LOL

BC