Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fcap60

ABUs: Thumb-bar vs. push button release

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Just curious, if any of you have any issues, reccomendations, experiences, or preferences between the 6600 (thumb-bar) and the 6500 (push button) releases on your abus, and why ?

In general I want the access to the spool. Thumb rests and thumb bars get in the way.

Spoken like someone who needs to clear a lotta birdsnests!cwm27.gif

I like and fish them both, but if I had to choose, I would go with the push button. It is a little more reliable and durable, IMO.

CG

cgg:

Thanks and I was told that the thumb-bars fail at times, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any first hand experience with failures-to either style.

I own mostly push button and even those have been "sticky" at times. I recently picked up a 6600 CL Rocket and haven't tried the thumb-bar release yet.

I like them both as well. Haven't had any problems with thumb-bars.

But it's hard to say anyway,lol, because I have alot of 'em and don't fish any one reel for any length of time.biggrin.gif

I had a thumbar fail on a 5600C4 last fall; the reel would not go into freespool to cast. Had to replace the frame etc., but it is back in business. I think with 6600-size reels the thumbars are easier to fix and the whole frame does not have to be replaced. Anyway, I have about 10 Ambassadeurs and about half are 56 or 6600's and the rest are 6500's--I love 'em all.

CG

I've got 3 thumb-bar reels and 5 push-button reels.

I like both styles, but prefer the thumb-bar when I am repeatedly casting. It requires a little less hand movement--important over a long day of continuous casting.

I prefer the push-button style when I am fishing live or cut bait. In that situation, I usually leave the reel in free-spool (with the clicker engaged). It's easier to tell if the reel is in free spool when you see the button depressed. With the thumb bar reel it is more difficult to be sure that free-spool is engaged.

Both reels have an advantage in different situations.