Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal

Snagmaster

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone used one of these things from Cabelas? I'm thinking if I add heavy hooks, and possibly some heavy braided line to increase the capacity, that this might be a good way to prevent lobster traps from stealing my plugs. cwm40.gif

Unfortunately they don't show a picture of the spindle so I don't know if it's really "heavy duty" or not, or if it can hold more than the supplied 30' of 250# rope. But at $10, if it retrieves one plug it will have paid for itself.

I'd love to hear if anyones used this device or something similar. smile.gif

i010285sq01.jpg

The compact 4-oz. nickel-plated ring snaps around your line and slides quickly to the hung bait. The powerful 250-lb. test line can bring up snag and all, if necessary. Comes complete with 30 ft. of line spooled on a heavy-duty plastic spindle. Snagmaster pays for itself with saved baits.

I've used them freshwater fishing. They also called them stump knockers. Worked well. As far was saltwater, I don't know. I think they would get just as hung up as the plug.

When I was in high school I cast a lead donut so it looked like that and embedded 3 eyes - 1 tie off on and 2 to hang open ended chain. I could swing the chain onto the line and slide it down the line to the plug (largemouth gear) and the chain would hook up on the plug hooks. I didn't like the idea of the hooks on the retriever because they would hang on rocks and trees instead of the plugs. Works well. You could use it as is or replace the hooks with chain.

As long as I could get almost directly over the plug and the line hadn't wrapped around something between the plug and you, I could unstick it. I remember loosing a Bagleys because I had wrapped around another tree and couldn't get the retreiver to the plug.